Views
Helpful
Replies

1G SFP (GLC-TE) seems not to work with C9300LM-24U

gabrielgrabner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I might have encountered an issue with the Cisco C9300LM-24U switch. When using an GLC-TE SFP on one of the 25G SFP ports, I get a link but no layer 2 connections seems to work. when configuring switch 1 (9300LM) with ip 10.1.1.1/24 and switch 2 (9300LM) with ip 10.1.1.2/24, i get an ARP incomplete and no answers to my pings inbetween when connecting the 2 switches with 2 GLC-TE and a cat6 cable. When plugging the same cable to the normal copper ports on the switches, ping and arp works fine.

I already made a few tests with C9300-24 (normal model, not the LM one) or IE2000-8, the same SFPs work without problems here. Only when one C9300LM comes in, the problem appears.

The GLC-TE should be compatible to the C9300LM according to the compatibility matrix. The C9300LM is running on the latest version 17.09.03. The GLC-TE is recognised by the C9300LM and the Port is showing "10/100/1000BaseTX SFP" with 1G/full speed.

Any ideas why this does happen? Or how can i get the GLC-TE working with the C9300LM ?
Thanks in advance!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

gabrielgrabner
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco TAC confirmed this is a new bug:
Bug CSCwh51416

Cisco Developers are already aware, and they are checking for a solution.

View solution in original post

Bug was fixed by Cisco with 17.09.05 which is also recommended by now!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

(Oh no.  Not another one.)

What is the optic's country of origin, Malaysia or China?

You mean the GLC-TE module? It says made in China.

What is the first seven characters of the serial number of the GLC-TE? 

Just for giggles, upgrade the switch to 17.12.1.  

Serial starts with AVC2438****
Is the upgrade necessary since 17.09.03 is the current recommended version?

@gabrielgrabner wrote:
Is the upgrade necessary since 17.09.03 is the current recommended version?

I am suspecting this is an firmware bug but I cannot be certain until the switch is upgraded/downgrade to a different train.  

Please share both output to the command "sh interface <GLC-TE ports from both switches>" with it is in a broken state.

attached the two outputs.

I upgraded the firmware to 17.12.1, now the link doesn't even come UP. Any advise?

I've tried a few things now:

Version 17.09.03 - link comes up, but no arp entries
Version 17.09.04 - no link comes up but sfp is recognized
Version 17.12.01 - no link comes up but sfp is recognized

Any ideas?

If one side is GLC-T and the other side is the copper port, does the issue still remain?

Yes, issue still remains, connection does not work!

When I have the GLC-T in the IE2000 and connect the cable to a normal copper port on the C9300LM, the connection works!
Vice versa, the connection also does not work!

Raising a TAC case is a waste of time.  If this is a bug, there time it will take for Cisco to release a fix will take several years.  

My recommendation is to look for 3rd party optics.  FS[.]com is very popular for a reason.

gabrielgrabner
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco TAC confirmed this is a new bug:
Bug CSCwh51416

Cisco Developers are already aware, and they are checking for a solution.

Bug was fixed by Cisco with 17.09.05 which is also recommended by now!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card