Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 Data VLANs in one subnet

Hi,

Yesterday, I realized that one of my company's client has 2 Data VLANs belonging to the same logical subnet. I mean in the subnet 192.168.100.0/24 there are hosts in VLAN 10 and hosts in VLAN 20. 

How is this possible?

Can this fact be the origin of some kind of troubles?

Thank you in advance

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Not best practice but possible to assign a subnet to multiple vlans.

The end device only knows about the IP and usually does not care about what vlan it is in.

HTH

Hi Jose,

As Reza mentioned, it is not a best practice unless you have isolated network environments and they will never be in communication, or if you want to unify them using fallback bridging or using a NAT.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg3750/swfallbk.html

Hope it is useful.

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add, this is a valid configuration when you are using a device such as a firewall or load balancer in transparent mode where the device in effect joins the two different vlans together. It is done this way to avoid an STP loop.

However as both Julio and Reza have said if these are just normal client vlans then it is not a good thing to do.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card