cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509E changing power redundancy mode

Mike Mott
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509E with 4000 Watt power supplies that is currently in power redundancy mode = redundant.

I am getting PWRDENY on module 7 which is a 6716-10GE module needing 488.46 W and there is only 441.0 W available.

This module has been running without issue for quite sometime. For whatever reason the 6509E dropped the module last night due to a lack of power.

I know that I am looking at either upgrading PS to 6000W or removing a module to free up power.

In the short term I would like to change the power-redundancy mode from redundant to combined.

My question is this; will changing the config from power-redundancy mode= redundant to power-redundancy mode = combined be service impacting?

Please get back with me soon.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Austin Sabio
Level 4
Level 4

According to 6500 config guide, syslog will be generated. However, system will power down modules if there is not enough power for all previously powered-up modules. 

'To disable redundancy, use the combined keyword. In a nonredundant configuration, the power available to the system is the combined power capability of both power supplies. The system powers up as many modules as the combined capacity allows. However, if one power supply fails and there is not enough power for all of the previously powered-up modules, the system powers down those modules.'

Configuration Change
Effect

Redundant to nonredundant

• System log and syslog messages are generated.
  • System power is increased to the combined power capability of both power supplies.
  • Modules marked power-deny in the show power oper state field are brought up if there is sufficient power.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-4SY/config_guide/sup6T/15_3_sy_swcg_6T/power.html

I hope this helps and good luck!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Austin Sabio
Level 4
Level 4

According to 6500 config guide, syslog will be generated. However, system will power down modules if there is not enough power for all previously powered-up modules. 

'To disable redundancy, use the combined keyword. In a nonredundant configuration, the power available to the system is the combined power capability of both power supplies. The system powers up as many modules as the combined capacity allows. However, if one power supply fails and there is not enough power for all of the previously powered-up modules, the system powers down those modules.'

Configuration Change
Effect

Redundant to nonredundant

• System log and syslog messages are generated.
  • System power is increased to the combined power capability of both power supplies.
  • Modules marked power-deny in the show power oper state field are brought up if there is sufficient power.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-4SY/config_guide/sup6T/15_3_sy_swcg_6T/power.html

I hope this helps and good luck!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card