Views
Helpful
Replies

2801 router performence

Asim Afzal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

how i know my router performance and how much traffic is passing through my router. As per cisco router performece sheet  cisco 2801 support fast/CEF switching 48 MB

as per below output  fast 0/0 show 22 MB input and 8 MB output and fast 0/1 input rate is 2 MB and output rate is 4 MB

So total traffic is 36 MB.I want to know is above calcualtion is correct.

if not kindly let me know

int  fastethernet 0/0

Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 2224000 bits/sec, 4021 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 850000 bits/sec, 486 packets/sec

193922193 packets input, 128105769 bytes

int fast 0/1

Last input 00:00:32, output 00:00:00, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
  Input queue: 0/75/14/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 667
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
  5 minute input rate 277000 bits/sec, 163 packets/sec
  5 minute output rate 437000 bits/sec, 167 packets/sec
     53306162 packets input, 614368940 bytes

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are the interfaces completely loaded? If not, these number are not accurate.

What is txload and rxload in both interfaces?

Also according to the performance data sheet for the 2801, this router can perform up to 90,000 pps.  If you look at the data you provided the total number of input and output packets are not close to this number.

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event  shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without  limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the  use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has  been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What do you consider "performance"?  I.e. what do you want to know/measure?

The performance spec numbers I believe you're quoting is a theoretical maximum PPS (for minimum size Ethernet based packets) and the bandwidth provided is L3.  Real-world performance can be both much slower or much faster.

Your 36 Mbps is the incorrect sum of your interface bandwidths.  Looks like you've slipped a decimal.

For PPS, you only need to account for bandwidth once, i.e. normally what comes in ingress on one port becomes egress on another port.

Normally, the sum of all the ingress matches the sum of all the egress.  In your case, you've posted 2,224,000 ingress on f0/0 and 277,000 ingress on f0/1, i.e. about 2.5 Mbps.

You've posted 850,000 egress on f0/0 and 437,000 egress on f0/1, i.e. about 1.3 Mbps.

There's about 1.2 Mbps unaccounted for.  More interfaces?  ACLs?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card