cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2911 Cisco Router using tftpdnld Command_Romon Recovery not working.

easamoah1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, can someone please help me with my 2900 series router which has lost is IOS and its on the rommon mode, i have a copy of the IOS to load but what happens is after going through all the commands to load the IOS through tftp server, the it starts timing out at point of loading the IOS onto the router, ive tried a whole lot of steps through some videos i watched on youtube yet the router is not able to receive the IOS. After issuing this command eg: ( AFTER THE COMMANDS BELOW I ONLY GET THIS  ......... INSTEAD OF !!!!!!! THE DOT SIGNS LOOKS TO BE TIMMING OUT. AND EVENTUALLY, I HAVE TO TERMINATE IT SINCE ITS NOT ABLE TO UPLOAD THE IOS ON THE ROUTER.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME 

rommon 6 > tftpdnld

TFTP_FILE: c2900-mz.151-4.M4.bin Invoke this command for disaster recovery only. WARNING: all existing data in all partitions on flash will be lost! Do you wish to continue? y/n: [n]:

13 Replies 13

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The fact that it does not even begin to load suggests you have misconfigured something.

Can you check against the following doc -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12441/tftpdnld-rommon-command-recovery-procedure-fails-due-invalid-syntax-or-variables

also make sure your TFTP server is up and running correctly.

Jon

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey

you might want to have a quick read of this good checklist for that type of transfer might help , is your server and router set in same subnet/ip range?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12441/tftpdnld-rommon-command-recovery-procedure-fails-due-invalid-syntax-or-variables

EDIT: See Jon has already provided it

Hi Mark and Jon, thanks a lot for your quick responds to my query, please i have tried all the answers you provided,i have gone through my configurations as well but i still couldn't get the IOS onto the device, the problem occurred when someone was playing with cisco configuration professional on the router he mistakenly deleted the IOS with  cisco ccp. I have been thinking am not doing something right so I have given the router to a couple of friends who are also cisco guys to give it a try but they also couldn't fix it.Please, are there any possible solutions since this router cannot be left redundant. Concerning the IOS file itself, i have the same router so i have even copied the ios from that router for this one yet still having same problem. Kindly help me guys.

Can you provide the exact steps your taking on both your router and device that's set as the tftp ?

Have you got ip connectivity between the two , if that's not right you wont be able to transfer anything

Hello Guys, my pending issue has been resolved,the problem was with my antivirus, though I had put off my windows firewall in the process, the antivirus was also blocking the process, i later on realised that and tried procedure with a USB and it was a done deal. I want to use this opportunity to thank all of you especially you Mark, for your help and support, God bless you all.

Hello Guys, my pending issue has been resolved,the problem was with my antivirus, though I had put off my windows firewall in the process, the antivirus was also blocking the process, i later on realised that and tried procedure with a USB and it was a done deal. I want to use this opportunity to thank all of you especially you Mark, for your help and support, God bless you all.

glad you got it sorted :) 

easamoah1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mark and Jon, thanks a lot for your quick responds to my query, please i have tried all the answers you provided,i have gone through my configurations as well but i still couldn't get the IOS onto the device, the problem occurred when someone was playing with cisco configuration professional on the router he mistakenly deleted the IOS with  cisco ccp. I have been thinking am not doing something right so I have given the router to a couple of friends who are also cisco guys to give it a try but they also couldn't fix it.Please, are there any possible solutions since this router cannot be left redundant. Concerning the IOS file itself, i have the same router so i have even copied the ios from that router for this one yet still having same problem. Kindly help me guys.

easamoah1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys, my pending issue has been resolved,the problem was with my antivirus, though I had put off my windows firewall in the process, the antivirus was also blocking the process, i later on realised that and tried procedure with a USB and it was a done deal. I want to use this opportunity to thank all of you for your help and support, God bless you all.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card