Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-X stack vs 3750-X stack + four 2960S

Oleg Volkov
Spotlight
Spotlight

Dear Sirs!

Our core switch is VSS 6500 (two 6509 in VSS).

All inter-vlan routing, performed only in the core switch.

We have few remote buildings, which we connect to the core, using two 10G optic links.

In the remote building, we use two 3750-X in stack and few 2960 switches, connected to the 3750 stack by port-channel (one or two gigabit links to one 3750 stack  member switch, and one or two gigabit links to other 3750 stack member switch) and also 10 to 16 IE3000 switches, which connected to 3750 stack like 2960 (port-channel of two 1G links, one to first 3750 stack  member switch and one to second 3750 stack  member switch).

Now, we must connect new building.

But in the building, we have only PC (about 50 pcs), IP Phones and Video camera (also about 50 pcs).

I think, one 2960-X stack (four stack member switches), and 10G SFP+ modules in two 2960 stack member switches, is the best solution.

But our customer want to use two 3750 in the stack and four 2960S or X, and connect its switches by gigabit copper links to 3750 stack (as described above and already used in the other buildings as described above).

What advantage has customer solution?

I attached two configuration.
What the best solution if Video cameras in the new building, will be write video to servers at the core.
And users in the new building, want to view video from over 90 Full-HD cameras.
But video traffic flow to users, come from core (from video recording servers).

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helping seriously ill children, all together. All information about this, is posted on my blog
1 Reply 1

Robert Falconer
Level 1
Level 1

By my count, you have ~100 devices in that building. I would expect many of the IP phones will have a PC attached. Why is your port count so high? 192 ports or 240 ports per the quotes seems like too many.

Also, you might want to check the 3650 switches. They are basically replacements for the 3750x with newer technology and the same price point.

It doesn't look like 3750 + 2960 makes sense. Why add another bottleneck and layer of troubleshooting if not necessary? Why not just stack the number of switches you need instead of adding a semi-distribution layer? Stacking provides much more throughput than copper uplinks. If you need more throughput to the cores, use 4 X 10G uplink interfaces.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card