Views
Helpful
Replies

2960S-48TS-L power consumption

Kucko
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have problem with power consumption of switch Cisco Catalyst 2960S-48TS-L. There is max. consumption 52W in 100% utilization in datasheet, but I measured 90-100W power consumption with no load. Problem is that UPS time of this switch is half of assumed time.

Can it be software configuration or hardware problem?

What can I do to minimize power consumption?

I was trying to shutdown ports 13-52 with no change of consumption.

Thanks for help.

Juraj

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The wattage amount on the datasheet is probably the amount that is needed to operate the switch regardless of how much the switch being utilized.

HTH 

Kucko
Level 1
Level 1

Wattage in datasheet for 100% Throughput is 52W. So it should be maximal value. There is no stacking or SFP module installed.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-s-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-726680.html

Nobody had problem with power consumption of Cisco switch?

My "test case" was running 2960S-48TS-L (at 230VAC) with only 2 ports connected (interface Gi1/0/1, Gi1/0/2), both at 1Gbit speed. Power consumption was measured 90-100W with zero switch load. No SFP or stacking module installed.

Reza Sharifi probably did not read my request carefully, so his reply was not really helpful. My switch at 0% load has almost double consumption than 100% load at datasheet.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card