cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X: Limit overall Traffic of a Gigabit Port to 2 Mbit/s - QoS Shaping/Sharing

Robert Singer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have the following Challenge, to achieve. We got a new Wiring Closet on the Access Layer on the Campus Attached. These 3560V2 Switch is connected via a 2 Mbit/s transparent Layer 2 Line to a new 2960X Switch and from that on to the Distribution Layer VSS 6504-E.

Problem: Voice traffic from the Datacenter Site to the access site ( RTP) is dropped when the 2 Mbit/s Line is full due to other traffic.

I try to achieve the following: Since the 3560V2 Switch is connected via a 2 Mbit/s leased line to a Gigabit Port on both Sides ( 3560v2 <-2Mbit/s-> 2960X I try to limit the maximal allowed bandwidth downstream to the 3560V2 on 2 Mbit/s. The reason for that is, that I want to control, which traffic is dropped and not the Provider Equipment is dropping frames for me.

Let me illustrate that with an Diagram:

First of all, I tried to implement the following sharing and shaping configuration

2960X:

interface GigabitEthernet3/0/24
 switchport mode trunk
 bandwidth 2000
 load-interval 30
 srr-queue bandwidth share 1 45 52 7
 srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0
 srr-queue bandwidth limit 10
 priority-queue out
 mls qos trust dscp

First of all, I thought the when the priority queue is served with shape 10 0 0 0 that means the following

1/10 = 10% for Queue 1 are reserved. Since 0 is for the other queues, the traffic is shared between this Queues based on the share command.

Since I have a Gigabit Interface, the 10% = 100 Mbit/s. I want to limit the overall traffic to 2 Mbit/s + Voice always prio ( priority-queue out )

I thought maybe I set the bandwidth parameter ( I know only for routing protocols, but I thought maybe also for Qos?) That did not worked,

also the srr-queue bandwith parameter only can limit the port to max 10% of Gig... that is 100 Mbit/s... I need 2Mbit/s....

Also, a service

Policy Map policy-airport
      Description: Policy Map fuer Airport
    Class class-default
      police 1900000 8000 exceed-action drop

can only be bind on input interfaces, not on output interfaces. :-(

So is there any idea I can prio Voice over Data on the 2960X Trunk to the 3560V2 and limit it to 2 Mbit/s before it goes on the wire ?

Maybe this Setup work ?

interface GigabitEthernet3/0/24
 switchport mode trunk
 bandwidth 2000
 load-interval 30
 srr-queue bandwidth shape 100 200 400 400
 priority-queue out
 mls qos trust dscp

= 1/100 for Q1 = 1%

= 1/200 for Q2 = 0,5%

=1/400 for Q3 = 0,25%

= 1/400 for Q4 = 0,25%

in sum 2% in strict manner on the Gig Link allocated = 2 Mbit/s

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I'm not 100% certain with the 2960X, but if it works like the 3560/3750 series, you'll want to run the interface physically at 10 Mbps, and then use the bandwidth limit command set to 20% or less.  (The port hardware shaper, at least on 3650/3750 isn't exact, so you may need to shape slower to stay under 2 Mbps.)  With the port shaped, you can then manage priority of your traffic.  For example, PQ for your VoIP bearer traffic.  (You'll also need to enable QoS globally, trust ingress DSCP [i.e. having trust on your egress port, alone, isn't sufficient], and insure your traffic maps to the desired queues.)

PS:

An alternate approach, would be to place an inexpensive router (e.g. 800 series) between your switches and your 2 Mbps link, as they have better QoS features.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card