Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X Software Policy

Hello everybody,

does anybody know a reliable answer if you need a SmartNet contract to update IOS on a 2960X platform ?

They talk about "Maintanance updates" and "Bugfixes" within the policy but I´m not sure what a maintanance update is about.

Is an update from 12.2 to 15.2 a maintanance update ?

Also I did not find an SKU for purchasing a software update.  

Link to Software policy:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/product_bulletin_c25-696974.html

Best regards,

Steffen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes you can upgrade or downgrade to any version available for that platform on the Cisco website as many times as you want , you may hit a bug there maybe a new feature release in newer version etc there are multiple reasons why you upgrade/downgrade its perfectly legal to do so and expected or else you will be always on same software release which is not recommended

edit --ok see what you see the smart care only allows for software upgrades on ip service images if there is a bug hit , that still covers you , if you had no contract you cant download a ipservice contract anyway as it requires licenses too

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

you don't need smartnet all you need is the ios but to download the ios you need your cco attached to the serial number of your switch , it can be a number of contract types doesn't have to be smartet but you do need some form of contract to download the ios from the website, installation does not require smartnet to actually load into onto the switch or get it working

as each version gets older bugs are fixed in newer versions you can see this in each IOS version release notes whats been fixed and what bugs are open

What I don´t understand is: What is the legal situation?

Reflecting the Software policy from a 2960X -> Is it legal to update the software and what update is legal?

Is my understanding correct that:

A 2960X switch has “enhanced limited lifetime warranty” for non-guaranteed NBD delivery and that the 2960X Software Policy allows me (from a legal perspective) to update IOS?

Best regards,

Steffen

Of course its legal and expected Cisco constantly test current software release and bring out newer releases and while you have the device under support you can upload and change the IOS as many times as you want , for security we change them regularly after testing the releases through MVM for bugs and issues ,the safe harbour is the version you want to usually be on as its the current most stable IOS for each platform ,this changes as more problems are found so you will still need upgrade the odd time

A 2960X switch has “enhanced limited lifetime warranty” for non-guaranteed NBD delivery and that the 2960X Software Policy allows me (from a legal perspective) to update IOS?

All X series are limited life warranty its not for life but fir the lifetime of the product and its releases , X series come with extras , like hot swappable parts and slightly longer support

Completely legal and expected to change IOS the odd time

You wrote:

While you have the device under support you can upload and change the IOS as many times as you want

Just to confirm that we talk about the same:

From a legal perspective the “Cisco Software Policy” – mentioned in my first post (not talking about any Service Contract!) allows me to update to any version, correct ? 

Yes you can upgrade or downgrade to any version available for that platform on the Cisco website as many times as you want , you may hit a bug there maybe a new feature release in newer version etc there are multiple reasons why you upgrade/downgrade its perfectly legal to do so and expected or else you will be always on same software release which is not recommended

edit --ok see what you see the smart care only allows for software upgrades on ip service images if there is a bug hit , that still covers you , if you had no contract you cant download a ipservice contract anyway as it requires licenses too

Thanks Mark !

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card