cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960x stack IOS image copy and system boot not working

JOHN APONTE
Level 1
Level 1

I am following the process documented in url below method#3 for a .bin image in order to copy a new version of image from master to switch3 to flash3:, which works just fine, but when I issue a boot system switch 3 flash3: and tell switch3 to boot from just copied image from master and issue the reload slot 3 command switch3 still boots from 'old' image and show switch show version mismatch.  Has anyone had this work successfully? and how?  I am doing this in a test bed of 4 2960x switches stacked together all running .bin image files.  Master and switch2 have correct newer image and switch3 and switch4 have the same train but different rev..15.0 vs 15.2.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/64898-upgrade-3750-stack.html#mth3

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would never, ever, recommend anyone copy the BIN file from one stack member to another.  Too many things can go wrong.  

Read this:  Copying an Image File from One Stack Member to Another

Hi Leo

Thanks for the reply.  I wonder why Cisco publishes the copy .bin process?  Does the copy work best only with tar files?

I wonder why Cisco publishes the copy .bin process?

The TAR file contains the BIN file and other associate files.  

Does the copy work best only with tar files?

I always use the TAR files.  There are only extreme cases where I use the BIN files, like forcing the switch to boot from ROMmon.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card