cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960XR Stack Member Replacement

MrMarc
Level 1
Level 1

I have a stack of 5 2960XR-48-FPD-I switches stacked together and switch 4 is going to be replaced. Current master is Switch 5 due to a reboot issue, but that is a matter for another day. Aside from verifying the proper IOS and attaching to the stack while the switch is powered off, how can i boot up the replacement switch to take over the running config of the current switch 4? If I provision the switch prior to stacking as Switch 4, will it take on the programming of the current Switch 4 or will I need to push new programming for it?

The stack is currently running 15.2(2)E5 and I cannot easily reboot the entire stack.

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The config will be pushed to the new switch from the master once it is part of the stack. Follow below lines to add the switch to the stack:

1) Power down old switch and remove from stack
2) On new switch load same IOS and feature set as exiting stack members
3) On new switch change switch member number and priority  to the old switch member number and priority ( you can find this on the live stack by sh switch command as the provision from old switch should still exist

4)save the config and power down new switch
5) reattached new switch to stack via stack wise cabling and power new switch up

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The config will be pushed to the new switch from the master once it is part of the stack. Follow below lines to add the switch to the stack:

1) Power down old switch and remove from stack
2) On new switch load same IOS and feature set as exiting stack members
3) On new switch change switch member number and priority  to the old switch member number and priority ( you can find this on the live stack by sh switch command as the provision from old switch should still exist

4)save the config and power down new switch
5) reattached new switch to stack via stack wise cabling and power new switch up

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: