cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3 OSPF area different Can't communicate to pc on each end

leslie.marin001
Level 1
Level 1

Professor assigned a project that I mostly understand . but didn't properly show multiarea ospf . I got both areas to communicate and get rid of an OSPF error where i have to create a virtual link ? . but now each router knows each network but it says unreachable when I try to ping the interface connecting to the pc . I'm still new to this and I'm unsure what commands helps me block the interface even though the main router and adjacent router knows each network . . I understand the border Router interface port needs to be in area of the router so a different area . but now imp stuck where it doesn't see the second interface as if its "gone". I hope I make sense .

I UPLOADED THE WRONG ONE . I'm really sorry I didn't realize it till a commenter . I'm so sorry 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No problem. It happens.

None of the interfaces have been configured and no OSPF was present in the routing table (guessing it hasn't been configured) I wont configure it for you but will gladly help.

Make sure you follow the other instructions about the router ID and assign the interfaces the correct IPs. Make sure to also enable the interfaces, but as far as OSPF see below:

R1 and R2 <-- you can enable OSPF globally the same for all interfaces since all their interfaces are in the same area 0

router ospf 1

network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 area 0 

R4 has interfaces in Area 0 and Area 66. You configure the network statements with wildcard masks relating to each network and the area they belong to.

router ospf 1

network 192.168.24.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 192.168.34.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 192.168.46.0 0.0.0.255 area 66

R6 is fully in area 66 so we can configure OSPF globally for all interfaces

router ospf 1

network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 area 66

R3 is in area 0 and area 33

router ospf 1

network 192.168.13.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 192.168.35.0 0.0.0.255 area 33

R5 is fully in area 33 so we can configure all interfaces for area 33

router ospf 1

network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 area 33

Hope that helps. If you have additional questions please feel free to ask. I believe I covered everything.

-David

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

I could Not open pkt file but,

Do you config area 0?

Ospf area need area 0 to connect to each other.

yeah 4 routers in area 0 all know each other and know area 33 and area 66 . the two others area . i had to zip the file to paste it here

Share topolgy as photo 

topology.png

Hello,

Are you supposed to be doing OSPF? The instructions at the top of the .pkt file says use static routes for full connectivity and you have static routes configured.

Secondly, since you have static routes configured, if your OSPF statements match the same networks then the routers will choose the static routes and OSPF wont show up in the routing table anyway since they will be tied for longest match and the tie breaker would be AD....and static routes have a lower AD..

Thirdly, No OSPF was configured on any device in your topology attached.

You can enable OSPF globally and assign networks to the areas you want. Or you can go into each interface and assign it the area you want per interface per device. See below:

conf t

int g0/0

ip ospf 1 area <#>

Based on your topology you shouldn't need to configure virtual links.

Hope that helps

-David

in the sixth part on the image says ospf routing as main routing . I have done so . I didnt create any static routing beside introduce the network into ospf with the area . thus it created paths Learn by ospf if you put show ip routes .

Im having an issue where I introduce the network to ospf, on r6 and r 5 to broadcast both network topologies . and they says unreachable but the VLANs i was able to ping outside and back to them . maybe because r1 is connected to Area 0. While r 5 and 6 are different area with one interface away from area 0

I was talking about in your packet file you attached. There is no OSPF running and its all static router, and even the directions say to use static routes. Did you upload the wrong packet file?

I'm Really sorry. i did upload the wrong one . thank you so much for pointing that out.

No problem. It happens.

None of the interfaces have been configured and no OSPF was present in the routing table (guessing it hasn't been configured) I wont configure it for you but will gladly help.

Make sure you follow the other instructions about the router ID and assign the interfaces the correct IPs. Make sure to also enable the interfaces, but as far as OSPF see below:

R1 and R2 <-- you can enable OSPF globally the same for all interfaces since all their interfaces are in the same area 0

router ospf 1

network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 area 0 

R4 has interfaces in Area 0 and Area 66. You configure the network statements with wildcard masks relating to each network and the area they belong to.

router ospf 1

network 192.168.24.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 192.168.46.0 0.0.0.255 area 66

R6 is fully in area 66 so we can configure OSPF globally for all interfaces

router ospf 1

network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 area 66

R3 is in area 0 and area 33

router ospf 1

network 192.168.13.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 192.168.35.0 0.0.0.255 area 33

R5 is fully in area 33 so we can configure all interfaces for area 33

router ospf 1

network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 area 33

Hope that helps. If you have additional questions please feel free to ask. I believe I covered everything.

-David

leslie.marin001
Level 1
Level 1

probably send the wrong file too . it should be routed but i think what i got wrong is the OSPF global . i created the router internally in the area with both networks and activated both interfaces into both networks ? thank you for the time to explain  it . fully resetting the router back to square one 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card