Views
Helpful
Replies

300-500M MetroE link with 3845 Router

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I am looking into bringing MetroE into our data center. I currently have a 3845 router  and would like to find out if it can support a 300-500M MetrE link.

Also would you recommend a  router or a switch that can handle 300M - 500M MetroE link ?  Do you typically terminate MetroE link on a router or a switch ? can I terminate it directly to a routed port on a  Nexus 7K ?

Thanks in advance for any inputs / suggestions !!

D.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

D,

If it is Cat5 at a rate of 300 to 500 Mbps, then you configure one of the Gig switch port as layer-3 and connected to the provider's router. You would than need to configure static routes or any protocols (if any) with the provider. Don't forget to buy the proper license fot the switch.

As for config for the routed port you just need an IP address

example:

config t

inter gi1/0/1

no switch

ip address xx.xx.xx.xx 255.255.255.xx

no sh

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are looking at 300-500 Mbps Ethernet link, then you need a switch. Something like a 3560x or 3750x will be a better then using a 3845.  Remember theses switches can only terminate Ethernet links and not any WAN circuits like  T1, T3, OC3, etc...

HTH

Hi Reza !! thanks for your help !!!

As I understand the hand-off from the service provider would be a CAT5 cable. Do you typically terminate it on an L3 routed port on the switch ?

Do you have a sample config that you can share ?

Thanks !!!

D.

D,

If it is Cat5 at a rate of 300 to 500 Mbps, then you configure one of the Gig switch port as layer-3 and connected to the provider's router. You would than need to configure static routes or any protocols (if any) with the provider. Don't forget to buy the proper license fot the switch.

As for config for the routed port you just need an IP address

example:

config t

inter gi1/0/1

no switch

ip address xx.xx.xx.xx 255.255.255.xx

no sh

HTH

Thanks Reza !! I appreciate your replies !!!

I've worked with WAN circuits but not with MetroE before, this will be my first MetroE turn up. I will most like use a 3750x for this and most likely I'll be running dynamic routing (BGP or EIGRP) with the service provider. what type of license you think I would need on the 3750x ?

I have a pair of Nexus 7010's running in vPC mode. Below is what I think how I'll be connecting the MetroE link to my core switch. Let me know if you see any issues / concerns with this !!! Thanks again !!! very much appreciate your help !!!

D,

You are very welcome.  Glad to help!!

The design should work fine.  As for the license for the 3750, since you are planning to use BGP or EIGRP, you need "IP Services" license. The other thing that is worth mentioning is if you are not planning to buy more then one 3750 ever and stack them, you can get a 3560x.  They are exactly the same and the only difference is that 3560x can not be stacked, but cheaper. If funding is not an issue, then you can use the 3750x.  Also be aware that these switches can not do NAT. So, if you are using private IPs and need to NAT, you need a router.

HTH

Thanks Reza !!! Your replies are very help !!! very much appreciate your help !!!

D.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I am looking into bringing MetroE into our data center. I currently have a 3845 router  and would like to find out if it can support a 300-500M MetrE link. 

Also would you recommend a  router or a switch that can handle 300M - 500M MetroE link ?  Do you typically terminate MetroE link on a router or a switch ? can I terminate it directly to a routed port on a  Nexus 7K ?

A 3845 is rather light to support 300 to 500 Mbps bandwidth, as its only rated at 500 Kpps.  I wouldn't recommend it for more than about 100 Mbps, duplex.

Either a switch or router can use a MetroE link.  Really depends on your feature needs.  For MetroE you could also consider a MetroE switch.  The latter have a few more features over a ordinary LAN switch.  Since MetroE links tend to be vendor rate limited, its often helpful if your device can shape for the agreed logical rate.

Yes you can terminate it on a Nexus 7K routed port.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card