Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 switch fan issue after repalcing fans

I recently acquired a 3560 switch for my home lab, however the fans were much too loud so I replaced them with some noctua 40mm 3 pin fans to match the 3 pin connector on the motherboard. (I ended up having to rewire them as the 3 pin connector itself was standard but the pin out was not.) Checked via multi meter and continued on. After booting fans turn on as they should however I receive multiple fan and temperature errors. I verified my wiring and switched back to stock fans and it works as normal without errors. It would seem that there is sensors the switch is expecting to interact with inside of the fan that are not there if a different fan is used, is there anyway I can disable fan checks all together? I added a "no logging console" line but the orange led light remains which bothers me. I'm not very proficient in electrical things but is there perhaps a way to send a false positive signal to the switch to prevent these errors?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Good workaround - unfortunatly, cisco does not like to service or addons, it is your own risk and you need to live with what you achieved so far. Maybe you can try any refurbished vendor to get the right FAN and install that is the only suggestion I can give for now.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco switches regularly "poll" the fans to make sure they are "there" and whether or not the fans are actually still "spinning" (and at what speed).

Martin L
VIP
VIP

3560 switch is old and cheap on ebay; I wold not worry about; just get another one as a spare for backup.  It is home lab after all;

long time ago, I had c3550 sw open, no cover,  running and warming up my room during the Winter.  since then I pay my bills on time 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card