cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560-X USB Console Question

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

Does the USB console interface offer any new features that are not available to the standard Serial console interface that we all know and love?  I would think that Cisco wouldn't just add it just to add it, but I can't seem to find any information on any differences.  Any input would be helpful.

*I rate helpful posts*          

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The addition is so, you can go usb to usb directly from the switch to your Laptop as these days most laptops don't have the old 9 pin serial port.  So, if you use the RJ45 to serial console that comes with the box by default and your laptop doesn't have a 9 pin serial, you need to purchase a serial to usb converter.  Other then this, no additional feature that I can see.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Pronoy Dasgupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Antonio,

Which USB port are you talking about? Is it the one on the front?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/hardware/installation/guide/HGcliSET.html#wp1036837

Or the one at the back? If you are talking about the type-A USB port at the back, then this is basically for additional storage. This USB port can be used to perform software upgrades, store configurations, and even write memory core dumps for troubleshooting purposes. All Cisco USB memory drives can be used (currently up to 1-GB USB drives are available).

HTH

Pronoy

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The addition is so, you can go usb to usb directly from the switch to your Laptop as these days most laptops don't have the old 9 pin serial port.  So, if you use the RJ45 to serial console that comes with the box by default and your laptop doesn't have a 9 pin serial, you need to purchase a serial to usb converter.  Other then this, no additional feature that I can see.

HTH

Pronov,

Reza seems to be more on point with what I'm asking.  I'm asking about the 'console' mini USB connection on the front of the unit.  I was attempting to see if there were any features of the mini-USB port to take advantage of that I can't get from the old school console port.  Can you confirm that there is no added features there.  I'm leaning to Reza's opinion that there isn't but I want to be sure.

Hey Antonio,

I would agree to Reza's opinion as well. There is no additional use as such apart from what Reza specified. Primarily for ease of access only, and no specific defined advantage over the old school method.

Thanks

Pronoy

Thanks for you guys responses.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card