cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560x Pulled the power too fast?

mystica5555
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a Catalyst 3560X switch.. Was just in the process of wiping it and reconfiguring it.

After the guided setup, I selected [2] Save this configuration to nvram and exit.

After this 'enable' did not work with the password i chose (word1@#$ with literal 1@#$ at the end of it; did this mess up whatever parses the text?)

So i was going to power cycle it and try again.  I pulled out the power from the power supply... Then pretty quickly plugged it back in.

I think I gave it a voltage spike. I likely did not allow capacitors time to discharge.

Now when plugging in power, the system makes a "click click click click" sound, about twice a second, one green internal status LED (CR81 labeled on the mainboard) blinks in sync with the clicking. And, a not so good electronics-are-deadish smell starts happening. I wonder if I shorted something somehow with the potential voltage spike?

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Mike

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if you smell smoke smell, i suggest to leave off the device for some time and investage power source. (rather breaking the switch to bin it)

after sometime if you plug in Power source you see any Console action, then good, if not looks kit got damanged.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I've already tried 3 separate power supplies from other switches we have here.. They are not the problem, both green lights (power/psu itself) are on, the presumed-dead switch starts to draw power but then seems to get stuck in a loop where it gains power then it immediately drops.  The fans start to spin once, then just clicking. I'm guessing whatever power component is supposed to sense current and then keep the power line open is failing to latch and at the rate of about twice a second.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card