cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3570 switch and VirtualBox VM: Different VLAN tag on the VM than on the Host

Adam Hudson
Beginner
Beginner

I have a Win 7 64 bit PC with a Win XP 32 bit VirtualBox VM. I'd like the Win 7 host to sit on one VLAN and the VM sit on another VLAN. The only thing I've found about VLAN tagging a VM is this post: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65345&p=314865&hilit=vlan+tag#p314865 in which the author uses a virtualized Ethernet adaptor supported by VirtualBox to force tagging on the interface. I've done that for my XP machine and I still cannot get it connected to the network.

I have the VM network adaptor in Bridged mode so it appears as it's own interface. Here's what I have for the port the PC is plugged into on my switch:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk native vlan <host VLAN>
 switchport trunk allowed vlan <VM VLAN>,<host VLAN>
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate

Any help is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
Advisor
Advisor

I think I bought a USB Ethernet port for about $25 to $35.  Get yourself an additional NIC.  Dedicate one to each task.

Much easier.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
Advisor
Advisor

I think I bought a USB Ethernet port for about $25 to $35.  Get yourself an additional NIC.  Dedicate one to each task.

Much easier.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers