Views
Helpful
Replies

3570 switch stack upgrade

JackinJain0870
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Can you guys help on how to do firmware on WS-C3750X-24S-S stack? I found other link but it didn't help. I have .bin file already downloaded and i plan on upgrading this stack via USB. 

Thank you all for you time. 

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Don't use the BIN file unless you want to have a switch boot in ROMMON.
Read the Release Notes carefully: Release Notes has the complete instruction on how to upgrade the firmware safely using the TAR file.

Leo, 

I was just reading that it mentioned to do it through tftp server which I don't have it setup nor configured. 

One can use USB as long as it works.

"archive download-sw" does this command also copies the new IOS in flash? My concern is since it says archive download, I don't want there to be temporarily. I want the IOS to be there even after a reboot and boot system file should refer to this. 

archive install is new method (unlike old traditional way copy .bin file) - this has more flexible way moving farwards.

it will upgrade to new IOS and after reboot, it will be new one only.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The command "archive download-sw", without any options used will push the contents of the TAR file (including HTML) to all the switch members and update the boot variable string.

Hello Jackin,

On Master, once you will perform archive download-sw  automatically image will be saved in all the member switches in the stack.

Detailed Process

Use the archive download-sw command to extract the .bin image and other required files (.tar files) in the flash of the stack switch (master switch)

>>Download the image required and check the minimum memory requirements.*       

>>Download IOS on TFTP server, then copy to the Master switch flash using "archive download-sw //leave-old-sw tftp://<TFTP IP>/<image>". This will copy, extract and change boot statements.

>>The new image will be saved on all switches' flash.

>>Save changes and reload the switch to boot the new image.

Do wr mem

and perform the reboot. 

Regards,

Priyanka

I can also use USB as long as I replace the tftp with usb correct?

You can use a USB if it is supported.
Not all USB brand are supported.

Hello Jackin,

I can also use USB as long as I replace the tftp with usb correct?

Yes, you can.

Regards,
Priyanka

hello,

as you mentioned as time there's no usb option to upgrade firmware from usb flash drive instead of tftp. 

That means the USB thumb drive you're using isn't supported.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card