Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 and HP Procurve - inconsistent peer vlan

jlmickens
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to migrate the core of our network from an HP ProCurve 5308 to a Cisco 3750 stack and am having some issues.  The two pieces of equipment are connected with an etherchannel(HP trunk) for redundancy.  They have been connected for a couple of months with no issues.  Until this week, only two vlans had been tagged on the connection from the 5308 to the 3750 - well, tagged is not exactly accurate - one was tagged (vlan 10) and the other untagged (vlan 1) in order to match the native vlan on the Cisco.  This week, I needed to start adding some of the other vlans to the 3750 stack.  The vlans exist already on both devices.  I went into the 5308 and set it to start tagging vlans 3-5 and 75 on the link to the 3750 stack.  When I did, I got several errors on the 3750 stack regarding vlans 3 and 4 and they both went into a blocking state on the connection.  They have been in that state ever since.

From my syslog server:

1731: Jan 26 05:48:32: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking Port-channel1 on VLAN0003. Inconsistent peer vlan.
1731: Jan 26 05:48:32: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking Port-channel1 on VLAN0003. Inconsistent peer vlan.
1730: Jan 26 05:48:32: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 3 on Port-channel1 VLAN4.
1730: Jan 26 05:48:32: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 3 on Port-channel1 VLAN4.

Everything I've read so far regarding this type of error point to a difference in the native vlan setup for both sides, but that's not the case here, as both sides are set for native vlan 1 and have been working that way for several months now.  I had a similar issue with vlans 6 and 8 between these two devices when I first went to this setup and it would shut down the interfaces instead of just the vlans.  I wound up having to move those two to separate connections exclusive to the vlans to get them to work (that's probably a whole other issue).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

SWHQCORE#sh spanning-tree inc

Name                 Interface                Inconsistency
-------------------- ------------------------ ------------------
VLAN0003             Port-channel1            Port VLAN ID Mismatch
VLAN0004             Port-channel1            Port VLAN ID Mismatch

Number of inconsistent ports (segments) in the system : 2

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can mirror the traffic on vlan 4 to a laptop with wireshark, and then search for the BPDUs. They should have the MAC of the sending switch in it. But if you do not use spanning tree in your network, you can also put a bpdufilter at the edge of the HP network on that vlan. It might even work if you just put a bpdufilter on the ports of the Cisco switch that form the etherchannel. That should make the problem disappear.

My theory is that one of those fiber links has native vlan 4 on one side and native vlan 3 on the other side (with a Cisco switch sending out the BPDUs)

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

davidbranka
Level 1
Level 1

-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking Port-channel1 on VLAN0003

Do you have the HP Procurve Uplink set to PVID 1?  I'm not exeprienced with HP switches but I know the Dell switches not only need Vlan 1 untagged to match up with a Cisco they also need the PVID set to Vlan 1 on the port.

I'm not sure that's something that can be set on the ProCurve.  You can only set the ports to Tagged, Untagged and No on any given VLAN.  You can only set one VLAN to be untagged on the port, which is pretty much your PVID/Native VLAN.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am not sure if HP switch understands native vlan, since it has been primarily a Cisco's implementation. If I were you, I would try to tag every frame or vlan on the trunk port. On the 3750's use " vlan dot1q tag native" command to tag all the frames. On HP's side do not define the native vlan on the trunk ports.

Check if this makes any difference.

Cheers,

-amit singh

I can try it, but I'm not sure that's the issue.  The only VLANs having problems are 3 and 4.  VLAN1 is working fine, as is 5, 10 and 75.  I'd have to wait until a maintenance window to make that change, since it would affect all the users if something went wrong.

jlmickens
Level 1
Level 1

I played with this a little more.  If I stop forwarding VLAN 4 over the channel between the switches (set tagging to No on the Procurve side), the error clears on the 3750 side.  So the problem appears to be VLAN 4 only.  If I turn it back up, both go down.

Feb  1 11:41:32: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 3 on Port-channel1 VLAN4.
Feb  1 11:41:32: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking Port-channel1 on VLAN0003. Inconsistent peer vlan.
Feb  1 11:41:32: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking Port-channel1 on VLAN0004. Inconsistent local vlan.
Feb  1 11:41:32: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan3, changed state to down
Feb  1 11:41:32: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan4, changed state to down

Somehow it seems that the 5308 is sending a BDPU with vlan id 3 on VLAN4....

Please post the config info for the uplink ports at the HP ProCurve and Cisco sides.

Uplink port configs:

Cisco Side
HP Side
!
interface Port-channel1
description Redundant Trunk to Core 5308
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-5,7,9-99
switchport mode trunk
!

!
interface GigabitEthernet2/0/24
description Uplink - 5308 D15
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode active
!

!
interface GigabitEthernet3/0/24
description Uplink - 5308 D16
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode active
!

interface D15
   no lacp
exit
interface D16
   no lacp
exit

trunk D15-D16 Trk1 LACP

vlan 4
   name "Digital"
   no ip address
   qos priority 4
   tagged B3,D4
   exit

vlan 3
   name "Sprint VPN"
   tagged B3,D7,Trk1
   exit

If it helps:

SWHQCORE#sh etherchannel detail
                Channel-group listing:
                ----------------------

Group: 1
----------
Group state = L2
Ports: 2   Maxports = 16
Port-channels: 1 Max Port-channels = 16
Protocol:   LACP
Minimum Links: 0
                Ports in the group:
                -------------------
Port: Gi2/0/24
------------

Port state    = Up Mstr Assoc In-Bndl
Channel group = 1           Mode = Active          Gcchange = -
Port-channel  = Po1         GC   =   -             Pseudo port-channel = Po1
Port index    = 0           Load = 0x00            Protocol =   LACP

Flags:  S - Device is sending Slow LACPDUs   F - Device is sending fast LACPDUs.
        A - Device is in active mode.        P - Device is in passive mode.

Local information:
                            LACP port     Admin     Oper    Port        Port
Port      Flags   State     Priority      Key       Key     Number      State
Gi2/0/24  SA      bndl      32768         0x1       0x1     0x219       0x3D

Partner's information:

LACP port                        Admin  Oper   Port    Port
Port      Flags   Priority  Dev ID          Age    key    Key    Number  State
Gi2/0/24  SA      0         0011.0a4a.0700  40s    0x0    0xD2   0x5D    0x3D

Age of the port in the current state: 26d:17h:39m:07s

Port: Gi3/0/24
------------

Port state    = Up Mstr Assoc In-Bndl
Channel group = 1           Mode = Active          Gcchange = -
Port-channel  = Po1         GC   =   -             Pseudo port-channel = Po1
Port index    = 0           Load = 0x00            Protocol =   LACP

Flags:  S - Device is sending Slow LACPDUs   F - Device is sending fast LACPDUs.
        A - Device is in active mode.        P - Device is in passive mode.

Local information:
                            LACP port     Admin     Oper    Port        Port
Port      Flags   State     Priority      Key       Key     Number      State
Gi3/0/24  SA      bndl      32768         0x1       0x1     0x319       0x3D

Partner's information:

LACP port                        Admin  Oper   Port    Port
Port      Flags   Priority  Dev ID          Age    key    Key    Number  State
Gi3/0/24  SA      0         0011.0a4a.0700  10s    0x0    0xD2   0x5E    0x3D

Age of the port in the current state: 26d:17h:39m:09s

Port-channels in the group:
                ---------------------------

Port-channel: Po1    (Primary Aggregator)

------------

Age of the Port-channel   = 26d:17h:39m:37s
Logical slot/port   = 10/1          Number of ports = 2
HotStandBy port = null
Port state          = Port-channel Ag-Inuse
Protocol            =   LACP
Port security       = Disabled

Ports in the Port-channel:

Index   Load   Port     EC state        No of bits
------+------+------+------------------+-----------
  0     00     Gi2/0/24 Active             0
  0     00     Gi3/0/24 Active             0

Time since last port bundled:    26d:17h:39m:15s    Gi3/0/24

I found a great doc on configuration of Procurve and Cisco together doing exactly what you are doing.

http://www.tecnocael.it/ftp/docs/ProCurve_Cisco.pdf

Check pages starting at 19.

I've been reviewing it, thanks.  I believe this is the document that helped me first configure the etherchannel ports with the HP procurve.  I don't see anything in it that would point to the cause of the issue I'm experiencing.  As near as I can tell, I have it configured correctly.

You might want to take a look at this bug CSCtj76880...

So this bug applies if you have RSPAN configured... Do you have a span session configured to monitor vlan 3 using a remote span vlan 4?

If yes remove the SPAN session and check if you stop getting these log messages..

Hope this helps..

Regards,

Ranganath

I do not have RSPAN configured, though I am using that version of the software.

jlmickens
Level 1
Level 1

Still looking for an answer to this.  I do not believe trying to tag the native vlan will have any effect.  If anyone else has any ideas, I'm listening.

The error message refers to spanning tree and a BPDU that has a VLAN tag in it. Now I think (pretty sure) HP does not support PVST

which is default in Cisco. So would it be possible that this BPDU is coming from another Cisco switch on the other side of the HP and that there's a VLAN mismatch there? Follow the BPDUs and you will find your answer... (maybe)

STP is not enabled on the ProCurve switch.  The majority of the switch fabric is all ProCurve switches, all with STP turned off, so I'm not sure where it might come from.  It's possible that there are Cisco switches in the fiber transport between sites - we have fiber links between buildings - but those should be invisible to the network.  How can I follow the BDPU's?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card