cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 IOS update

freybeitops
Level 1
Level 1

I have a stack of 6 switches: 5 WS-c3750-48ts and 1 ws-c3750g-24ts which is is the master. The master failed and we have a replacement ready.  The stack has 12.2(25)SEA image. The replacement has 12.2(50)SE5 image on it. I would like to update the IOS on the stack.

I am thinking of two options here:

1. Downgrade the IOS replacement switch, join it to the domain then update the IOS

2. Update the IOS of the stack first to match the replacement stack and join it to the stack.

What will be the better way of doing it? Less hassle, less downtime, less risky?

One more thing, we didnt have a sevice contract and i have a guest account, I can download the latest IOS for these switches 12.2(55)SE6 without a problem. Will I get a limited functionality on this IOS? Because I thought I wouldn't be able to download the latest update without a service contract. Please clarify.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Either option is fine, but I would do option-1.

Regarding the IOS download, you need a valid service contract to download the IOS you want.

HTH

Hi Reza Thanks for the reply. Yes I was leaning more on the first option too...

For the downloading of the IOS, I was able to download it without any contract, just signed up in cisco.com and it says that i am a registered guest., tried looking for the latest ios for my swtich and i was able to download the latest one - 12.2(55)SE6 and I noticed that i can download eveything else except for the discontinued ios, i believe 12.2(25) and earlier.

Why would I need a service contract since i can download it as a guest? Can I use this latest IOS in our network and will it have full functionality?

Hi Arvin,

Why would I need a service contract since i can download it as a guest?  Can I use this latest IOS in our network and will it have full  functionality?

Because when you purchase the equipment, they come with standard warranty, which is I think is a year.  After that in order to download new IOS images, you need to have a service contract.  Also, if some thing goes wrong with any of your equipment or issue with you image, Cisco TAC will not support you if you don't have service contract.  Also, your business can get in trouble for using software they are not supposed to use.  Check with your Cisco sales rep.

HTH

Hello I took your advise and our cisco provider told us that our devices are in the end-of-life stage:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/end_of_life_notice_c51-574778.pdf

So it means that we can't get a new contract for these anymore. I kept on digging on found this FAQs:

http://www.cisco.com/web/Downloads/SDS/Software_Downloads/FAQs.html#faq6

This basically tells me that the software is free to download and use by guest users. Is it free because of its end-of-ilfe status? Anyways, I am more confident now to download and use it. I dont think I will be doing something illegal.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card