cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 span performance

ampowell
Level 1
Level 1

What is the span (switched port analyzer) performance hit on a 3750 or a 3750X?  I would like to mirror a source with high traffic volume to between four and six destination ports.  I don't have a clear understanding of 3750 architecture.  How is traffic moved from one port to another on the switch?  What is the difference between span performance on a 3750 vs a 3750X?  Am I better off using a network tap for this application?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yogesh Ramdoss
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

In both Catalyst 3750 and 3750X, SPAN traffic is replicated in hardware, and should not have any impact at the process or control-plane level.

As SPAN is hardware-driven, you can have multiple destination ports for a given session, in Catalyst 3750 or 3750X.

I do not have any numbers to differentiate SPAN performance in 3750 and 3750X.

- Yogesh

View solution in original post

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the span (switched port analyzer) performance hit on a 3750 or a 3750X?  I would like to mirror a source with high traffic volume to between four and six destination ports.  I don't have a clear understanding of 3750 architecture.  How is traffic moved from one port to another on the switch?  What is the difference between span performance on a 3750 vs a 3750X?  Am I better off using a network tap for this application?

Thanks.

Hi,

As suggested by yogesh it wont be impact on performance with 3750 switch with muliple span destination,Just consider the amount of traffic which you are going to span is of high volume ..i would recommend span one by one destination and check the performance of the switch while going for all of the above on single shot.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Yogesh Ramdoss
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

In both Catalyst 3750 and 3750X, SPAN traffic is replicated in hardware, and should not have any impact at the process or control-plane level.

As SPAN is hardware-driven, you can have multiple destination ports for a given session, in Catalyst 3750 or 3750X.

I do not have any numbers to differentiate SPAN performance in 3750 and 3750X.

- Yogesh

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks.

Hi,

As suggested by yogesh it wont be impact on performance with 3750 switch with muliple span destination,Just consider the amount of traffic which you are going to span is of high volume ..i would recommend span one by one destination and check the performance of the switch while going for all of the above on single shot.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Thank you Ganesh and Yogesh for your replies.  I am trying to decide whether I need to purchase a network tap for the proxies.  I hear different opinions from different vendors.  I don't want to introduce more hardware in the path if I don't need it.

ampowell

Thank you Ganesh and Yogesh for your replies.  I am trying to decide whether I need to purchase a network tap for the proxies.  I hear different opinions from different vendors.  I don't want to introduce more hardware in the path if I don't need it.

ampowell

Hi Ampowell,

I would suggest if you can go span for one by one to achive your results rather going for tap based solution.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card