Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 stack switch - Question on Power supply redundancy

Hi Experts , 

We have stack of 2 3750x model switches , The master switch was having 2 power supply and Member switch is having 1 .So one of the power suppy of Master switch is down . So both Master and Member is having one power supply now ...

So if one of the power supply either from Master or from Member switch goes down , Will there be still power sharing ? or the switch will go down ? 

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image
------ ----- ----- ---------- ----------
* 1 54 WS-C3750X-48P 15.0(2)SE7 C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M
2 54 WS-C3750X-48P 15.0(2)SE7 C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M

stack power.PNG

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wow.  A 48-port PoE switch with a single 715wac power supply.  A real dangerous gambit.  

what will happen if the power supply goes down on one of the switch? will the switch goes down ?

@Network_Sarovani wrote:

what will happen if the power supply goes down on one of the switch? will the switch goes down ?

Depends if those switches have PoE clients or not.  

48-port non-PoE requires <300wac.  

They have POE clients ..

power inline.PNG

Each 48-port switch requires 300wac to power up.  Any extra goes to PoE. 

If you have two switches that means 600wac.  This leaves 115wac for PoE.  

Not my design, not my decision to say how "important" are those phones if one of the two PS fails.  

ok . So if one of the PS fails then we may face performance issue right ?

Yes.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, in addition to what other posters have noted, often overlooked is there are wattage limitations to what the 3750X PowerStack cables support. I.e. a single switch having insufficient power might be unable to obtain it from neighbors even though they have enough surplus wattage.

In your case, for instance, even it you replace the failed master's power supply, if the slave switch's power supplied failed, the switch might still fail.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card