Views
Helpful
Replies

3750x and 3750 mixed stack questions

ds6123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an existing stack of old 3750 switches (not "e" or "x") running old ip services software (c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE2.bin).

I want to add a new 3750x to the stack (running universal image with ip base license..more on this later).

I understand that the IOS version must be the same for these to stack together.

For the new 3750x switch, software only seems to go back to 12.2(53)SE2, so it looks like I'll need to update my old stack software.  So far, so good.

The newest software for the old 3750 switches is 12.2(55)SE6 in ip base or ip services (no universal image is available).

For the 3750x switch, I only see an "ip base" or "universal" image available for download.

I have a few questions:

Question 1.   Can I run an "ip services" image on the old 3750 switch and a "universal" image with an "ip base" license on the 3750x?  This would seem to be a feature set mis-match.

But in the past, I've certainly mixed "ip base" and "ip services" licenses on a 3750x stack running the universal image, but never between such different hardware (x and non-x hardware).

In reading the config guide I'm concerned because it states this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1208349

All stack members must run the same Cisco IOS software image and feature set to ensure compatibility between stack members. For example, all stack members should run the universal software image and have the IP services feature set enabled for the Cisco IOS Release  12.2(53)SE2 or later.

It fails to mention how to add old stack members that don't support a universal image.

Question 2.  How do I manage the boot statements for a mixed stack like this?  Do I need individual boot statements for each switch?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1. Switches can have mixed feature sets (altough they cannot have major software release mismatches); however if your master goes down and a switch with IP base becomes master you'll lose all the new features. Therefore redundancy must be planned accurately.

• Stack any Cisco Catalyst 3750 switch in the same stack (hardware mixed stack)
  • Stack any Cisco IOS Software feature set in the same stack (software mixed stack)

Note: One exception is the new LAN Base models being introduced with the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X Series, which can stack only with other Catalyst 3750-X LAN Base models

Cisco Catalyst 3750-E and Catalyst 3750-X StackWise Plus and Cisco Catalyst 3750 StackWise switches can be combined in the same stack. When this happens, the Cisco Catalyst 3750-E, or Catalyst 3750-Xswitches negotiate from StackWise Plus mode down to StackWise mode

2. Yes, you need upgrade the switches seperately.

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1. Switches can have mixed feature sets (altough they cannot have major software release mismatches); however if your master goes down and a switch with IP base becomes master you'll lose all the new features. Therefore redundancy must be planned accurately.

• Stack any Cisco Catalyst 3750 switch in the same stack (hardware mixed stack)
  • Stack any Cisco IOS Software feature set in the same stack (software mixed stack)

Note: One exception is the new LAN Base models being introduced with the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X Series, which can stack only with other Catalyst 3750-X LAN Base models

Cisco Catalyst 3750-E and Catalyst 3750-X StackWise Plus and Cisco Catalyst 3750 StackWise switches can be combined in the same stack. When this happens, the Cisco Catalyst 3750-E, or Catalyst 3750-Xswitches negotiate from StackWise Plus mode down to StackWise mode

2. Yes, you need upgrade the switches seperately.

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Thanks Aru,

It worked just like you said.  I do, however, think that Cisco's documentation is very misleading on this and contradicts itself.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card