Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X as DNS server?

ChuckHaynes
Level 3
Level 3

Greetings,

We currently have a guest network that uses Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). The problem is, we want email to flow internally between the guest network and the corporate network. One solution is to install a DNS server for our guest network. I want to see what other options I have. Is there anyway that I can have our core switch (3750X stack) act as a DNS server? I would ideally like to add an internal DNS entry for our mail server, so that it will keep email flow internally. That's basically the only entry I need. The switch can then direct all other DNS queries to Google's DNS servers. Is this possible?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Palani Mohan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, that is not a feature implemented in the switches. For complete list of features configurable, check here

On the other hand, if what you are looking for is met with this feature, then please consider locating a router in your Guest Network. The routers are capable of housing a switch module.

Sincerely ... Palani

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Greetings,
We currently have a guest network that uses Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). The problem is, we want email to flow internally between the guest network and the corporate network. One solution is to install a DNS server for our guest network. I want to see what other options I have. Is there anyway that I can have our core switch (3750X stack) act as a DNS server? I would ideally like to add an internal DNS entry for our mail server, so that it will keep email flow internally. That's basically the only entry I need. The switch can then direct all other DNS queries to Google's DNS servers. Is this possible
Thanks

Hi ,

The ip dns server command is introduced in IOS 12.2(4)T, but not in the IOS 12.2SE.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/command/reference/nm_08.html#wp1011412

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card