cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X Stack power with 5 switches

graham-lewis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I know from the documentation that it's only possible to connect a maximum of four switches in a stack power configuration. I need to have five switches in a data stack, is it possible to configure three switches in one stack power and the other two switches in a separate stack power or will I have to have four switches with stack power and the fifth stand-alone? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Graham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Using two power-stacks is one way to go in this scenario. Your five switches can still build one data-stack. This scenario is also shown in the Q&A.

Alternatively you could use an XPS to provide backup power to all five switches.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Using two power-stacks is one way to go in this scenario. Your five switches can still build one data-stack. This scenario is also shown in the Q&A.

Alternatively you could use an XPS to provide backup power to all five switches.

Thanks Karsten and thanks for pointing me to the Q&A - relevant section pasted below in case someone else stumbles across this thread:

Q.    How many Cisco StackPower stacks can be built within one data stack?
A.    In theory, one switch is a stack on its own in terms of Cisco StackWise. In terms of Cisco StackPower, one switch constitutes a StackPower stack of one switch.
The recommendation is to have Cisco StackPower stacks of four switch members to maximize the effect of power aggregation and redundancy.
Another option is to build three Cisco StackPower stacks of three each, for a total of nine switches, matching the maximum number of switch members in a Cisco StackWise stack (also known as a data stack).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card