cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X switch with 3750E firmware? Not getting enough Power Output to our APs.

kelemvor33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are in the process of installing a bunch of Cisco AP2802I-B-K9 Access Points.  When we did the first one as a test, the antennas would not activate because they weren't getting enough power from the switch.  The switches are 3750X switches.  We had a CDW consultant on site to help with the installs and upgrade and he said that the 3750E models are nto powerful enough to handle the new APs but the 3750X models should be fine.  When he logged into one of the switches he said it was reporting itself as a 3750E which was probably what was causing our problems.

We checked the firmware file we used when we did our last upgrade and it's called: c3750e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE9.bin.  We thought maybe someone downloaded the wrong file since it says 3750E and not 3750X.

I then went to Cisco.com and found the page for firmware upgrades.  I specifically chose 3750X-48P-S, which is what we have, but the available firmware files are called the same thing as what we already have except it's up to S10a now.

So do these switches use the exact same firmware and maybe we just have a config problem somewhere?  Should there be a 3750X firmware file that I'm not finding?  Just trying to figure out if we need to reflash all our switches or not.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

kelemvor33
Level 1
Level 1

After doing some more research, the switch says it is putt enough power out but the AP says the Radios will not turn on.  Might not be a power problem after all.  Any way to figure out why the radios aren't turning on?  I don't see a button that says "Turn on Radios"...  ;)

Hello,

If you still haven't resolved your issue, I can try to help. Are you currently using 1100W power supply's or 715W? You'll probably need at least 1, if not 2, 1100W power supply's to fully support the POE requirements for those APs.

Ah.  Thanks for the reply.  I forgot to update this.  I ended up having a Cisco rep Webex into our system to look around and we found a setting that wasn't enabled under the global radio settings which was causing all our problems.  We turned that on and everything started working.

Thanks.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We checked the firmware file we used when we did our last upgrade and it's called: c3750e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE9.bin.  We thought maybe someone downloaded the wrong file since it says 3750E and not 3750X.

IOS code for the 3750E and 3750X are the same one so this is not an issue. 

When we did the first one as a test, the antennas would not activate because they weren't getting enough power from the switch. 

2802I require a minimum of 26w PoE.  And I know that a 3750X can support up to 30w per port (first-come-first-serve-until-exhausted).  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card