cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850/3750 power supply failure log entry

blues22
Level 1
Level 1

During the last year we've experienced 2 power supply failures in our 3750 or 3850 switch stack power supplies. Our stacks are not connected with the power and data cables, but rather just the data cables. These switches provide fanout to user access on our office floors. The individual elements in the stack are NOT power suppply redundant. IOW, they only have one power supply. When the power supplies fail, the stack remains up and responds to pings from the management interface, but the individual switch element goes down.In the past when this has happened, the only indicator that we have available to us is a lack of connectivity on the individual ports. This has been service impacting since the problem manifested itself at the start of the work day, and this takes a while to triage and remediate. We want to use LogRythm to crawl the switch error logs and send us an email alert when the problem occurs, thus allowing us to take corrective action before it impacts production. Since these events occured some time ago, I'm unable to find the individual log entries in our log archives. I need the actual verbage of the error message so LogRythm can key on this message and generate the alert. Web searches have been to no avail. Can anyone supply a suitable error message that would be logged to indicate a PS failure for an idividual 3750 or 3850 access switch? 

Many thanks.

1 Reply 1

blues22
Level 1
Level 1

I neglected to mention that I don't have access to one of these stacks in a lab environment in order to generate this condition and the resulting error message. I though maybe someone else on the forum would have this luxury.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card