Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 nat?

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Does the 3850 support nat? If so, does it look exactly like nat on a router?

Thanks.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Wrong. The Cisco 3850 does support NAT, (runs IOS-XE). 

View solution in original post

So both the 6500 & 68xx support NAT as well.

Tested in a lab with the following & worked: 

1. WS-C6509-E with sup VS-S720-10G & running s72033-advipservicesk9-mz.151-2.SY2.bin

2. C6807-XL with sup VS-SUP2T-10G & running s72033-advipservicesk9-mz.151-2.SY2.bin

The claim is still the same. The Cisco 3850 does support NAT.

The details of the unit I tested were as follows:

WS-C3850-48P, running cat3k_caa-universalk9, (IOS-XE). 

21 Replies 21

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does the 3850 support nat?

Nope.  Not in a long shot.

Cisco drew a line on the sand:  You want NAT?  Get a router.

You want NAT?  Get a router.

Nope a client bought one of these from a web auction thinking it could do nat. I hadn't heard that one

Nope a client bought one of these from a web auction thinking it could do nat.

A web auction?????

Someone auctioned off a brand-new Catalyst 3850???? 

I'm only the messenger who knows--maybe it was thermally challenged

Unless the rules have changed recently, post the documentation(s), particularly configuration guides supporting your response.   Statements on Data Sheets are not acceptable.

As far as I'm aware, only routers and ASA support NAT.  Not sure about 6500 and/or 68XX chassis.

So both the 6500 & 68xx support NAT as well.

Tested in a lab with the following & worked: 

1. WS-C6509-E with sup VS-S720-10G & running s72033-advipservicesk9-mz.151-2.SY2.bin

2. C6807-XL with sup VS-SUP2T-10G & running s72033-advipservicesk9-mz.151-2.SY2.bin

And what about your claim that the 3850 can support NAT?

The details of the unit I tested were as follows:

WS-C3850-48P, running cat3k_caa-universalk9, (IOS-XE). 

The new IOS even supports GRE now.  Just remember though that this is all done in software and will severely tax the CPU if you do too much.  For a few simple NATs you shouldn't have a problem, but if this is for an enterprise level device doing PAT with a large number of hosts you may want to test it first.  Routers are always the preferred platform for NAT because of this.

Please state your source, i. e.  Configuration guides.  (Data Sheets are not a source of accurate information.)

WS-C3850-48P, running cat3k_caa-universalk9, (IOS-XE).  

I seriously doubt how an information like this can be rated a "5" or even Endorsed.  This is either funny or an epic fail.  

See the link below for video proof. 

http://www.dash-t.com

Hi,

The 3850 does not support NAT and there are nor plans in the future to be supported on this platform. Although you have the commands available, it will| not work.

Although you have the commands available, it will| not work.

I have seen this kind of "behaviour" on ME-3800.  The commands to enable NAT is there but it doesn't work. 

Although it is very funny how a number of Cisco staff has commented (and rated) that 3850 will support NAT (even though no one will provide an official Cisco documentation to support this claim) and here's another Cisco staff member who says the opposite. 

Hilarious.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card