cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 - OSPF

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.. I have been running 3850 switch with IPBASE license. I want to configure OSPF,EIGRP on this switch but not sure whether license  supports this routing. Could you pls confirm.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Carlos Villagran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi!

Please refer to the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/qa_c67-722110.html

IPBASE supports OSPF Routed access, and by routed access it means:

OSPF for Routed Access: Starting from Cisco IOS Release 12.2(55)SE, the IP Base image supports a new feature called OSPF for Routed Access. OSPF for Routed Access is designed specifically to enable you to extend Layer 3 routing capabilities to the wiring closet. It supports only one OSPFv2 and one OSPFv3 instance, with a maximum number of 200 dynamically learned routes.

Hope it helps, best regards!

JC

View solution in original post

You can run both versions but your limited to the amount of routes you can learn in dynamically 200 but people have got more ,i have seen posts though where users have reached close to up to 225, with ipservices this restriction is removed

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

you need the below license for full OSPF and EIGRP on 3850 , you can use stub EIGRP though with ip base

#sh license right-to-use
 Slot#  License name   Type     Count   Period left
----------------------------------------------------------
 1      ipservices   permanent     N/A   Lifetime

License Level on Reboot: ipservices

Hi Mark.. when you say full OSPF, does it mean ospf v3. I don't want to run ospf v3 or any ipv6.Please clear on this.

You can run both versions but your limited to the amount of routes you can learn in dynamically 200 but people have got more ,i have seen posts though where users have reached close to up to 225, with ipservices this restriction is removed

Carlos Villagran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi!

Please refer to the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/qa_c67-722110.html

IPBASE supports OSPF Routed access, and by routed access it means:

OSPF for Routed Access: Starting from Cisco IOS Release 12.2(55)SE, the IP Base image supports a new feature called OSPF for Routed Access. OSPF for Routed Access is designed specifically to enable you to extend Layer 3 routing capabilities to the wiring closet. It supports only one OSPFv2 and one OSPFv3 instance, with a maximum number of 200 dynamically learned routes.

Hope it helps, best regards!

JC

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card