cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 stack has no LED indicators in STACK mode

bruhling1
Level 1
Level 1

I initially was going to submit a TAC case about this but it's such a minor thing I figured I'd just see if everyone else has similar behavior on their 3850s.  I have a stack of 3850 switches (48T-S & 48F-S) and no matter how I build it or how large of a stack I create, it seems the front-panel LED indicators don't function as expected/documented when in the STACK mode.

The documentation (Hardware Installation Guide, page 14) shows that the interface LEDs should blink to indicate the device's stack member number.  This works fine.  The document also states that the other interface LEDs should be solid green to indicate the other devices that are part of the stack, and that the last two LEDs show the status of the StackWise cables - green in full bandwidth mode (the StackWise part is mentioned in the consolidated platform config guide, page 2146).

All of this behavior is the same as the 3750s which we've been using for quite some time.  (The other thing the 3750s do is have all stack members cycle through the Mode LEDs, 3850s only have the mode LEDs cycle on the device you actually pushed the button but that's even more of a minor nitpick.)

For some reason though when I'm building these 3850 stacks, the interface LEDs do not go solid to indicate other members/stack size and there's no indication of the StackWise cable status (I even installed an uplink module to ensure it wasn't trying to use those LEDs).  This "problem" exists whether I make an 8-member stack, a 2-member stack (fresh out of the boxes, no config) or even just a standalone switch (which I'd expect would still show the StackWise indicators).

The devices came from the factory with IOS-XE v3.2.3SE but I also tried v3.3.5SE (Cisco's recommendation which I intended to use) as well as v3.6.1E.  No difference between them.

As I said this is a minor thing and doesn't impact the operations of the switches/stack (all the CLI output is what I'd expect), it's just a small annoyance & I wanted to see if others were experiencing the same thing.  (Had they worked though it would have helped me to realize somehow the stack got split up as I was setting them up.)

1 Reply 1

hsreedy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm seeing the exact same results with my 3850 stack.

Version 03.07.00E RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card