cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 switch stack

Andyz
Level 1
Level 1

I am stacking 2nd 3850 to existing production switch. Both has the same iOS. all the basics are covered but just having 2nd thought that Is there anything I should be aware of or missing anything??? Any expert advise?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If all done as per guidenace. Master switch keep 15, and add new switch with lower number.

Since you are doing first time, if nervous, then suggested  do it in maintenance window to cover yourself. if any case switch stack  required to reboot (Generally not required).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. Make sure the 2nd unit is POWERED OFF before connecting the stacking cables.
2. After the 2nd unit joins the stack, don't forget to configure switch priority to make future boot-ups faster.

Can I change the priority of production switch then plug stack cables and then power new switch? 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is how I am planing to add this switch:

Make sure you have running configuration backup.

Do this in maintenance windown, in case anything go wrong, you may need to reboot entire stack to resolve the issue

Stacking rules :

Make sure both the hardware same models,

All switchesi n the switch stack need to be running compatible software versions.

1. Turn off the power of the new switch
  2. connect the stacking cable (Cehck  to Cisco documentation)
  3. connect the console cable to switch (just in case any obnormal logs you can capture)
  4. Turn on the power of the new switch
  5. Once the boot process finished. check show switch - see new switch added to stack
  6. change the priority of the switches which one you like to be active.

here is the reference guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3e/ha_stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_stack_ha_3e_3850_cg/b_stack_ha_3e_3850_cg_chapter_011.pdf

BB

I just realized that I  did not mention one thing, new switch will be stacked with production switch so now saying that...I have covered the basics like same iOS, Priority on production switch is low so I need to change that first. New switch priority and switch number is changed to Switch 2 Priority 14.

Production Switch:

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
------------------------------------------------------------
*1      Active   xxxxxxxxxxxxx   1      K0     Ready

I looked at Cisco stacking diagram, I am using 2 stacking cables - if one goes bad so at least I have redundancy.

give your feed back.

If all done as per guidenace. Master switch keep 15, and add new switch with lower number.

Since you are doing first time, if nervous, then suggested  do it in maintenance window to cover yourself. if any case switch stack  required to reboot (Generally not required).

BB

Thanks! I will keep new (2nd)switch powered off until I make sure that Priority is changed on production switch.

No worries, keep us posted any issues. if resolved and mark as resolved.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card