Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 WS-C3850-16XS-E Ether/port channels & HSRP

maraica
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I am in the process of replacing my two core aggregation switches (3750 1gb 12 ports) with 3850s 16-10GB ports.  

Currently, I am not stacking both switches (3750) but uplinks them each other via 2 etherchannels.  In addition, I am have HSRP running.  I have Port-channel1 on both switches, but this port-channels uplink to different switches.

Questions:

I am now setting up the 3850 stackwise ( I am a new to this):

1) do the port-channels have to be unique since I am now running stackwise?  meaning I can only be running port-channe1 only one time?  Right now, both 3750s have port-channel1 running.  I am no sure that I can use the same port-channel1 multiple times in a stackwise scenario.

2) Given that now I am running stackwise, does that mean that I do not have to set up HSRP or I still have to do so regardless on been on stackwise?

I appreciate your time/support

thanks

Manuel

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are stacking both the switches to 1, Technically consider as 1 Switch.

So you can not have duplicate information in same switch.

There is no use case here for your HSRP based on the information you have provided here (we are not sure what is the old setup HSRP, are you doing any IPSLA ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you.  It is good to validate that I will have to create unique port channels with all the rest of the switches.  

Will I be better off if I replicate what I have right now (NO stacking and HSRP) in Place or is it more valuable to do the stacking?

I currently have HSRP to set up for all vlans as this on both switches (3750s)

this is for Core1

interface Vlan2
ip address 10.49.15.2 255.255.255.0
ip access-group DENY-VLAN2-TO-MANAGEMENT-VLANS in
ip helper-address 10.48.6.12
no ip unreachables
standby ip 10.49.15.1
standby priority 105
standby preempt

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you are stacking, then you won't need HSRP.

Thanks.  I was assuming that was the case, but I needed to validate with subject experts.  thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card