cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 switch supports up to 100 access point , i need to know can i manage all the 100 access point with single switch  or the switch can manage only the access point that is connect to, another question can i mange the access point on the 3850 switch  through Cisco prime ?

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No the correct 3850 can act as a wireless controller for your entire wireless network of 100 access points.

http://video.cisco.com/detail/video/2932640566001/cisco-catalyst-3850-series-switches?autoStart=true

jhager001
Level 1
Level 1

A 3850 will not support 100 access points in a converged network. I would suggest a WLAN controller if you plan on supporting upwards of 50 or more.

As for Cisco Prime Infrastructure, you can manage your AP's through the device. I have been using Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.2 for some time now. Although still not entirely pleased with the functionality of the entire product it serves as a glorified guest user account creator.... When you add the 3850 as a device in Prime, it should automatically add any AP's associated with that controller so you won't have to go in and manually add each AP.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/white_paper_c11-726107.html

The Cisco Catalyst 3850 switch is a converged access switch for wired and wireless networks. Main features of the Cisco Catalyst 3850 switch include the following:

Best-in-class, fixed and stackable access switch with 480-Gbps stacking for gigabit desktop and 802.11ac wireless.

Converged wired and wireless access with support for up to 40 Gbps wireless throughput, 50 Access points and 2000 wireless clients per switch/stack.

Distributed intelligent services with Flexible NetFlow on all ports, hardware capability for TrustSec and MediaNet, and ease of operations using Cisco® Catalyst® Smart Operations.

Foundation for Cisco Open Network Environment enabled by the new ASIC with programmability and investment protection.

According to the updated datasheet the 3850 can support up to 100  access point ?...

I recently had this talk with Cisco TAC debating what would cause less issues in the long run for hosting 76 AP's. The updated datasheet should be 100 access points if that's all it's used for, in converged network (data, voice, wireless) they wouldn't recommend more than 50 AP's, I ultimately chose to just go with an HA pair of WLC5508's which will support more than 200+.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card