Views
Helpful
Replies

3945 router password recovery

vnirmal112
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I understand that the password has to be changed the first time we login to Cisco 3945 router but i failed to do that and its not allowing me to connect using default username/password.

Can someone help me in getting this addressed??

Regards,

Nirmal.

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Nirmal,

You can but you don't have to change the password the first time you login to the 3900.  Are you trying to connect using the console port or telnet?

HTH

Reza

Reza,

Logged onto router via console...was about to configure a new router...I got a clear message saying that i cannot login next time if i dont change password, which i saw after logging off only :-(...

Regards,

Nirmal.

Nirmal,

What version of IOS are you running?  I have 3945 and it has never asked me to change the password.

Reza

reza,

its 15.x series..

regards,

nirmal.

I am running 12.4.24.

If you have a another flash card, you can put a different IOS on it and boot it with that and see if you can get in.

The other thing you can do is to try the password recovery and see if you can get in that way

did you ever assign any passwords to it?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_password_recovery09186a0080094774.shtml

Reza

Hi Reza,

I am also in same situation, here i am using 15.x series(c3900-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-2.T) IOS with rommon version C3900_RM2.srec.SPA.150-1r.M13.

Actually i have upgraded the IOS and Rommon initially and After upgrading rommon i just allowed to restart the router where as before restarting one time password needed to changed as per recommanded process but unfortunatly i missed instructions.

Now after router got restarted its not allowing to login. As you suggested Nirmal that change the config register but how to do that without login?

thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rajesh Sindhu

The first time a 3945 is powered up from the factory, it asks you to change the username/password. If that's not done the first time, it will lock you out the next time it boots. If this has happened, use password recovery (link requires cisco account) to regain access.

Oni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco