Helpful
Replies

4.6.5 Packet Tracer exc - Connect a Wired and Wireless LAN ping fails

JeffJeff
Level 1
Level 1

hi, I have no lecturer so any help is appreciated

Part 4: Verify Connections
Step 1: Test the connection from Family PC to netacad.pka.
a. Open the Family PC command prompt and ping netacad.pka.
b. Open the Web Browser and the web address http://netacad.pka.

http ://cisco.num.edu.mn/CCNA_R&S1/course/files/4.2.4.5%20Packet%20Tracer%20-%20Connecting%20a%20Wired%20and%20Wireless%20LAN%20Instructions.pdf - instructions

why do steps a) and b) fail? what am I doing wrong or missing? packet tracer file is attached to post

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

ping it works fine; after a minute or 2, Wait for link to go Green from Orange. Open Family PC command but before ping do ipconfig /renew.  You should see PC gets valid 192.168.x.x IP.   then , do pings

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

JeffJeff
Level 1
Level 1

here is the packet tracer file

Martin L
VIP
VIP

ping it works fine; after a minute or 2, Wait for link to go Green from Orange. Open Family PC command but before ping do ipconfig /renew.  You should see PC gets valid 192.168.x.x IP.   then , do pings

Regards, ML

Now its working after ipconfig/renew , thanks for the help. Quick question, why did I have to do that command? what was wrong with the ip the pc had before that?

The issue is that newer PCs are much faster now comparing to previous years; they boot faster or quicker then previous models. So, if your PC boots within 30 seconds, that is an issue for legacy STP which needs 2x15 seconds.

Here, PT PC boots faster then switch or router.  You can say it is just a PT limitation. In real life, I think PC will try get IP again itself (via resending DHCP discovery or renew current IP at renewal interval (at 50% of lease time on Windows machines). 

Also, Rapid STP is strongly recommended for all switches;  if not, if you have Cisco switch, you must use portfast edge default command on older legacy STP models of switches. Not sure why Cisco still uses STP as default mode in Catalyst switches; all others have moved on to Rapid mode. 

Regards, ML

Hi

Your lab is actually working. But you added a PC on the topology that you called Home-PC  that actually doesn´t exist on the exercise.

If you test from the Home-PC you are going to see that it actually works. But you need to remove this PC and put the configuation on the Family PC as required by the exercise.

You just need to transfer the IP address from one PC to the other.  Remove the Home-PC first.

thanks for the help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card