Views
Helpful
Replies

4-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module

ishwarshrestha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are using Cisco 6509 and I need to add another 4-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet (Fiber) Module. kindly  let me know how many such module can  be added and these are hot swappable.

Thanks

Ishwar

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ishwar

I'm assuming you are referring to the WS-X6704-10GE.

As far as I know there is no limitation on how many of these modules you can have other than the obvious one of free slots being available in the chassis.

Was there something that made you think there was a limitation ?

It sounds like you already have some of these modules in the chassis. If you haven't you will need to be aware of which supervisors and which IOS version(s) are needed to support the module.

They should be hot swappable and this is one of the benefits of modular switches.  

I usually do this sort of thing out of hours just in case because there is always the chance, however small, something could go wrong but you may be happy to do it during office hours.

Like I say it is unlikely you would have any issues.

In case you haven't seen this link here's a checklist for OIR (Online Insertion and Removal) -

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/97065-oir-mod-catsw.html#checklist

Jon

Thank you very much Jon,

I hope I will not have any problem.

I was just simply thinking that if there is any limitation as there used to be limitation on Cisco Router WAN Slots.

Just one more question if you have any idea .Provider is handing off multimode 10G Base SR.

I am wondering if XENPAK-10GB-LR+-W is compatible or I need another type of XENPAK.

Thanks

Ishwar

Ishwar

I am wondering if XENPAK-10GB-LR+-W is compatible or I need another type of XENPAK.

Think Joseph my have a better idea on this than me but according to Table 2 in the following link you need a XENPAK-10GB-SR for the connectivity. See this link for details

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/product_data_sheet09186a00801dce34.html

Like I say though this is not one of my stronger areas so hopefully someone else can confirm.

Jon

Ishwar,

In addition to Jon and Joe's posts and as Joe pointed out instead of using multiple 4 port cards, I would use the 8 or 16 ports modules.  The reason for this being is that the X6704 does not support VSS.  So if one day you decided to upgrade to VSS, you can not use the x6704 for your VSL link vs with the other modules you are good to go. 

also:

Just one more question if you have any idea .Provider is handing off multimode 10G Base SR.

I am wondering if XENPAK-10GB-LR+-W is compatible or I need another type of XENPAK.

Since the provider is handing off multi-mode fiber you need to use multi-mode optic (SR) SR=short reach (multi-mode) LR=long reach (single mode)

here is the part number

(XENPAK-10GB-SR)

see table-1 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-6500-series-supervisor-engine-720/product_data_sheet09186a008007cd00.html

HTH

Thank you very much Reza.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As a general rule, optics need to match, so if provider is using SX optics, you'll want the same.  (Also optics will only work with specific optic cables, so as Reza also mentioned, the fiber should be multimode for SX.)

Also Reza raises a valid point about considering what 10g cards can be used with newer equipment.  The 6708 also can not be used with the sup2T because you cannot swap out its DFC.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Just to add to Jon's post, it should be up to seven with dual sups or up to eight with single sup.

(Line cards are hot swappable, but I agree with Jon, ideally they should be changed during planned maintenance - just in case.)

BTW, if you're going to load up a 6509 with that many 10g cards, you may want to insure some or all have DFCs.  If you do use DFCs, don't forget possible issues when matching them to sup.

Also BTW, if you need even more 10g ports, there also the 6708 and 6716 line cards for sup720s, but if you have a sup2T, there's also the 6816 and 6908.

Thank you Joseph

ishwarshrestha
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for your replies. Wish you all the Merry Christmas and HNY 2015.

Btw, The link is going to  be upgrade soon, I will seek your help if anything

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card