cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 VSS Error(s)

Ninjabean
Level 1
Level 1

We are adding a new 32 Port 4500-x to a current 16 port 4500-x.  They are configured as VSS, and when they boot up the new standby switch gives the error:

000056: *Jul 12 15:03:02: %C4K_REDUNDANCY-2-INCOMPATIBLE_SUPERVISORS: Active and Standby supervisor types are not compatible. Autoboot on the Standby supervisor will be disabled and the standby supervisor is returned to ROMMON.
000057: *Jul 12 15:03:02: %C4K_REDUNDANCY-2-SEND_NEGO_FAILED: Galios Redundancy ISSU client failed to send negotiation message. Error: -287 (ISSU_RC_MSG_SESSION_DELETED).

I did research beforehand and saw that 16 and 32 ports are compatible. Also they are the same IOS version, 3.08.06 (this is the version the customer wanted).  The standby boots up, and then goes into ROMMON after the active gives the above errors.

We did add a new 8 port module in the existing (active) 16 port 4500, because there were no more ports available. We are going to use the regular ports for the VSS instead of the new module, in case that is the culprit. We are also opening a TAC case, but smartnet is in the process of being registered still, so that is not an option at this moment.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So yeah, TAC came back and said its not possible. The port density of both 4500-x switches must match exactly.  I am definitely going to be asking for some answers on why the wording is so misleading, but first I will have to get the customer taken care of.  

Thank you for the help today.  

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do both switches have the same exact license?

Also, can you post "sh module" from both chassis?

HTH

Hi,

It looks like they are actually difference licenses - one is entservices and the new one is ipbase. I take it this could be the cause of the issue? Also, TAC got back with me and said that 16 port and 32 port cannot be VSS. I pointed them to the datasheet that I believe you showed me which states "ANY 4500-x switches can be VSS" and am waiting for them to get back to me with clarification. Below are the sh module commands.

STANDYBY(NEW SWITCH)

Switch>sh mod
Switch Number: 2 Role: Virtual Switch Active

Chassis Type : WS-C4500X-32

Power consumed by backplane : 0 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.
---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------
1 32 4500X-32 10GE (SFP+) WS-C4500X-32 JAE22170DEN

M MAC addresses Hw Fw Sw Status
--+--------------------------------+---+------------+----------------+---------
1 700f.6abd.bec0 to 700f.6abd.bedf 2.0 15.0(1r)SG12 03.08.06.E Ok

Mod Redundancy role Operating mode Redundancy status
----+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------
1 Active Supervisor SSO Active

ACTIVE (OLD SWITCH

FBR-CORE-4500X#sh module
Switch Number: 1 Role: Virtual Switch Active

Chassis Type : WS-C4500X-16

Power consumed by backplane : 0 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.
---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------
1 16 4500X-16 10GE (SFP+) WS-C4500X-16 JAE202702WS
2 8 10GE SFP+ C4KX-NM-8 JAE221709DN

M MAC addresses Hw Fw Sw Status
--+--------------------------------+---+------------+----------------+---------
1 002a.1015.7c80 to 002a.1015.7c8f 1.1 15.0(1r)SG12 03.08.06.E Ok
2 005d.7335.ea98 to 005d.7335.ea9f 1.0 Ok

Mod Redundancy role Operating mode Redundancy status
----+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------
1 Active Supervisor SSO Active

Hi,

Usually, when you have 2 different licenses the VSS does not form correctly but I am not sure if this particular issue is related to license. 

Yes, according to their own document, you can mix different models. Hopefully, the document is correct.

HTH

I appreciate your input. I will clarify with TAC if the licenses are an issue. I have done many of these configurations before and I do not believe I have had to have the same licenses in the past, but I could just have gotten lucky.  I will reply with any additional information TAC gives me, so that anyone else having this issue can hopefully find the solution easily.

Hope all goes well. Usually, you want to keep the license the same as you may see unexpected behavior.

Also, have a look at this post for a bit more info regarding license installation.

At this point, I would not change the license and wait for Cisco TAC to come back with a reasonable answer and worry about the license later. If TAC says, you can't mix them, press the sales guy and the SE for an answer and why they produce misleading documents.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/other-network-infrastructure/license-installation-on-vss-cisco-4500x/td-p/2391039

HTH

So yeah, TAC came back and said its not possible. The port density of both 4500-x switches must match exactly.  I am definitely going to be asking for some answers on why the wording is so misleading, but first I will have to get the customer taken care of.  

Thank you for the help today.  

Could you try a different version? If the hardware supports 3.6.X or 3.7.X, then go with those.

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello good afternoon,

For my understanding you can not use different supervisors models in the same chassis. Yes, it is compatible but "Redundancy requires both supervisor engines in the chassis to be of the same supervisor engine model (same model, same memory, NFL daughter card and so on), and to use the same Cisco IOS software image." Thi is the link you can see this affirmation https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12-2/37sg/configuration/guides/config/RPR.html

Please do not forget to rate useful post.

Best Regards,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card