Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 XMODEM

Hi guys,

Does xmodem work for a 4506?

If not, any other method to upgred the firmare through the console port?

Thanks,

Vin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Vincenzo,

This switch does not have Xmodem or Ymodem functionality in ROMMON, as the document by the link above says:

"These Supervisor Engines also provide an Ethernet  Management port (10/100 Base T), which is available only from ROMmon  mode and can be configured to download a new valid image through TFTP  from a TFTP process. There is no option for Xmodem or Ymodem which  allows you to copy an image through the console port."

So you cannot load image through console port and you would need connection via one of ethernet interfaces to TFTP. E.g. you could connect a laptop to management port with TFTP server software on it.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vincenzo,

It does not support xmodem but you could use the following step-by-step instruction to upload the image from TFTP server:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_example09186a0080094ecf.shtml#image

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Ok, thanks Ivan.

The problem is that I don't have anyone on site to connect the management port on the Supervisor to the network...so I was really looking for a method in order to upgrade the firmware just with the console port.

Any other solution?

Best,

Vin

Basically I'd like to understand if I can use the following command directly from the rommon mode without connecting the management port...

copy xmodem: flash:filename

Of course any other similar method is more then welcome?

Thanks,

VIn

Hi Vincenzo,

This switch does not have Xmodem or Ymodem functionality in ROMMON, as the document by the link above says:

"These Supervisor Engines also provide an Ethernet  Management port (10/100 Base T), which is available only from ROMmon  mode and can be configured to download a new valid image through TFTP  from a TFTP process. There is no option for Xmodem or Ymodem which  allows you to copy an image through the console port."

So you cannot load image through console port and you would need connection via one of ethernet interfaces to TFTP. E.g. you could connect a laptop to management port with TFTP server software on it.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card