cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500X Out-of-Band Management port

JesseDM68
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to set up the FastEthernet management port on some 4500x switches that we have recieved for Out-of-Band management, but I am unable to get them working.  I have set this up before on ASR1004 routers and have not had any troubles with them, although I have noticed that they use a different mangement vrf name.  

I have added the IP address to the FastEthernet1 port, applied a default route for the vrf (e.g. ip route vrf mgmtVrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x), and connected the port to my switch.  I am unable to ping the out-of-band management IP from anywhere, inside or outside of its subnet, and I am unable to ping out from the 4500x using the ping vrf mgmtVrf <IP address> command.  When I run a show interface Fa1 command on the 4500x and on the switch its connected to, they both show that they are sending traffic but neither shows that its recieving any traffic.  I have tried connecting a laptop directly to the FastEthernet port, set it statically to the same subnet, and am still unable to ping the managment interface.  I ran a Wireshark capture on the laptop and I show no traffic coming from the management port on the switch, even though when I check the  show interface command it shows that the port is sending packets.  I have attempted this on two separte 4500x switches so far with the same results.  We are running IOS-XE 03.04.04.SG on both switches with the entservices license.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

17 Replies 17

A license install did the trick for me.

I'm working with a 4507R+E that I'm unable to reach through the management interface. I'm curious if you all think this issue also applies? I'm currently running 3.4.5.

Also, is it possible to connect this interface to a switch port which is part of management network?

neulingermst
Level 1
Level 1

We just saw this issue on a 4500X as well that was already running 3.05.03.

It appears it isn't the firmware upgrade that fixes it - but rather "have to reload the switch after configuring FastEthernet1" before it will start responding.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card