Views
Helpful
Replies

4500x SVI problem

Robin Swan
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

I setup a brand new 4500x 16 port Distribution switch with SVI's on it and they won't come up.  The license feature is ipbase.  I activated and accepted the EULA for the ipbase without activating and accepting the EULA for the iplan feature.  Would that be a reason?

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robin

Do you have either -

1) ports assigned to those vlans that are up/up

or

2) trunk ports to other switches that allow those vlans that are up/up

if you have neither of the above then your SVIs will stay down (I'm assuming you did a "no shut" under the SVI).

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robin

Do you have either -

1) ports assigned to those vlans that are up/up

or

2) trunk ports to other switches that allow those vlans that are up/up

if you have neither of the above then your SVIs will stay down (I'm assuming you did a "no shut" under the SVI).

Jon

Jon,

I did have a port configured for one of the VLAN's on the switch, but the end device was a older laptop so I had to set the speed to 100.  I did the shut, no shut on all ports including the SVI and nothing.

I'll try trunking to an access layer switch with 10/100/1G ports and see if that will do it.

I'll let you know.

It works when I trunk to an access layer switch.  I thought it would've worked by setting one of the local ports to one of the VLAN's and putting something on the port.  I had even put my work laptop with a 1Gb NIC on the port and set a static IP, but nothing.  I am able to do that with the 3750G series and 3750x series distribution switches and get it to work.  But not the 4500x.  I am beginning to not like the 4500x.

It should work with a laptop as long as the port is up/up.

Obviously that will only bring up the SVI for the vlan that the port is assigned to.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card