ATTENTION: We are currently working an issue with posting. Thank you for your patience while we work on a resolution.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4507 IOS Upgrade

Docklands
Level 1
Level 1

We have inherited a network that is based upon two core 4507R's that are using an IOS that is approximately 5 years old - believed to be 15.1.

From a security perspective, is there any merit in upgrading the IOS?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Personally I would say yes if its that old you should upgrade keep up to date as much as possible , we are very strong on our security and test images and releases with Cisco software through PI and  MVM MacAfee vulnerability scanner and we at least upgrade our images when new critical issues are found with the ios versions , usually around every 12months or so most devices would be hit with new software to mitigate the latest issues

what supervisor are you running ? 

All the report states is Supervisory Engine IV ?

hmm that's odd as the IV never went past 15.0 as per download section it stopped on image below released in 2016 before the next supervisor was released

when you check flash dir flash:  does it show an image name like below cat4500 if so post it please and can check what  the recommended latest image is for it

cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.150-2.SG11.bin

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=277241602&flowid=61384&softwareid=280805680&release=15.0.2-SG11&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=MD&reltype=latest

sup6 alright the next step up I see v 15.1 available

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=281550478&flowid=61392&softwareid=280805680&release=15.2.2E6&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=MD&reltype=latest

I can't get access to the equipment yet but I'm guessing the SE IV info is correct and therefore the image must be below 15.0

ok cool well if its on that its as far as you can go that's the latest image produced and released by Cisco to get a newer image the chassis would require a newer model sup first , but its not that old only last October so still good version

ENTERPRISE SERVICES W/O CRYPTO 
cat4500-entservices-mz.150-2.SG11.bin
27-OCT-2016
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card