Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4507 wont boot after password recovery

Hi there

I have recovered many Cisco switches passwords. however, this time i recovered 4507re same process with other 4500 and it was a success. but a month later there was an electric outage and then the core switch was reset back to default. I managed to do

configure memory

and got the configuration back. but now whenever I restart the switch, it goes to common 0. and it does not see the boot I think. I  boot manually and it boots up. When I restarted the switch, it got back to common 0.

How do I let the switch boot automatically? and why this issue happened.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- You are on a good path  , try booting manually again  but the setting in the running configuration must be corrected
        boot system flash:cat4500es8-universal.SPA.03.11.00.E.152-7.E.bin
   I think that needs to be :   boot system flash bootflash:cat4500es8-universal.SPA.03.11.00.E.152-7.E.bin
                           or            boot system  bootflash:cat4500es8-universal.SPA.03.11.00.E.152-7.E.bin

Don't forget to save the running configuration to startup config !                                     

We also keep seeing : config-register = 0x2142

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What is the current value of the configuration register ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

probably 0x2142. it was 0x2102 I think and I had changed it to 0x2142.

>...probably 0x2142.
  - Yes but probably is not good enough in this case , we need current and effective value

M.

thank you marce for the support.

Could you please help what would happen if it's 0x2142 or 0x2102 ?

I will try to log in remotely and let you know.

FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/50421-config-register-use.html

M.

thank you. will look into that. meanwhile i have looked at the switch and it says this:

Configuration register is 0x2142 (will be 0x2102 at next reload)

0x2142  Boots into ROM if initial boot fails
                0x2102  = good

>...(will be 0x2102           at next reload)
    So then you must execute the 'next reload'

M.

i just did reload and it got back to common 0

netacaduser575395547_0-1725969322957.png

- It can't find the a correct image to boot ; 
          check command as in boot system flash bootflash:image-name...
    and specify the correct image (meaning an available image to boot in bootflash)
    Afterwards , you must set the correct image to boot in the running configuration too

Also look at https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/7.5/configuration/guide/boot_support_TSD_Island_of_Content_Chapter.html#wp1020151
               if the above does not work , of course  adapt the image name accordingly

M.

- And also issue the set
                            command first ,to check current settings

M.

that's the current setting:

netacaduser575395547_0-1725972206803.png

- We see  from the screenshot :
          >...
          >BOOT=

So there is no image set to boot.  You may try to boot directly with 
           boot bootflash:cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.06.00.E.152-2.E.bin

Of course change that image name to the one as shown available in your screenshot!

M.

- Also note that apparently the ConfigReg value as shown is still not correct!

M.

I have configured the boot system flash: flash name and it booted, copied the configurations, and reloaded. now its on rommon again.

***** The system will autoboot in 5 seconds *****

Type Control-C to prevent autobooting....
. . . . .

config-register = 0x2142
Autobooting using BOOT variable specified file.....

Current BOOT file is --- flash:cat4500es8-universal.SPA.03.11.00.E.152-7.E.bin
Invalid filename flash:cat4500es8-universal.SPA.03.11.00.E.152-7.E.bin. It must begin with device name.
Type 'boot -help' for details.

The switch will automatically reboot now...

Verifying FPGA (P) Signature ....................... PASSED
Verifying ROMMON (P) Signature ......... PASSED

* Rom Monitor *
* Copyright (c) 2012-2018 by cisco Systems, Inc. *
* All rights reserved. *

Rom Monitor (P) Version 15.1(1r)SG17
Compiled Tue 18-Sep-18 20:39 [RLS]

System : WS-X45-SUP9-E Slot [3] Peer [4]
Chassis : WS-C4507R*E Mod [1][2]
Revision : CPU 2.1 BOARD 4.0 FPGA 5.68F8.13B8
Memory : 4096 MB
Date : Tue Sep 10 06:38:45 2024

***** The system will autoboot in 5 seconds *****

Type Control-C to prevent autobooting....
. . . . .

config-register = 0x2142
Autobooting using BOOT variable specified file.....

Could not find a valid file in BOOT environment variable.
BOOT variable can be set from IOS. To find currently set
Rom Monitor variables, please type 'set' command.

For help on choosing a boot method, type 'confreg' command.
rommon 0 >

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card