cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4900 IOS upgrade image from Ver 12.2(53)SG2 to 15.1(2)SG

mikekaroki
Level 1
Level 1

I have CAT 4900M that has been up for more than 9 years. I have looked for upgrade path or any caveats and could not find any. Is there an issue upgrading directly to Ver. 15. I checked the Release note and have the right ROM. Are there any issues or concerns. I have the IPBASE version. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@mikekaroki wrote:

I have CAT 4900M that has been up for more than 9 years. I have looked for upgrade path or any caveats and could not find any. Is there an issue upgrading directly to Ver. 15. I checked the Release note and have the right ROM. Are there any issues or concerns. I have the IPBASE version. 

There is nothing wrong with upgrading the ROMMON to 12.2(44r)SG10. 

I would, however, serious reconsider the "choice" of going only to "15.1(2)SG".

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

@mikekaroki : Did you check this one 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4900/4900M/installation/guide/4900Mod/00abtmn.html 

Regards
Inderdeep Singh
www.thenetworkdna.com ( Awarded by Cisco IT Blogs award 2020)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@mikekaroki wrote:

There is nothing wrong with upgrading the ROMMON to 12.2(44r)SG10. 

I would, however, serious reconsider the "choice" of going only to "15.1(2)SG".

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to consider upgrading ROMMON takes few minutes part of upgrade. (not sure hot big network and you have dual path redundency if this switch go down) - is this VSS ? or standalone ?

as suggested i would re-think and look for new stable version

1. read the release notes

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/ol-1524e-4900m-4948e.html

2. take the config back up out of the box

3. get console access if you can to capture any information required.

4. give more time for the upgrade so you can smoothly upgrade.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

It is not a VSS. They are 2 4900M configured for layer 2 redundancy. There are however a few links that are not redundant. The ROMMON is up to date (12.2(44r)SG10.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card