cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 booting from flash

rishad ahammed
Level 1
Level 1

I need to boot my 6500 from external flash, and I put the command "boot system flash s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI13.bin" to set the boot variable. But still the switch is booting from flash sup-bootdisk: and also the boot variable is set to flash sup-bootdisk:  .  Can any one please tell me how to solve this issue

this is the show run

boot-start-marker
boot system flash sup-bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH4.bin
boot system flash s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI13.bin
boot-end-marker

and 

Router#sho bootvar
BOOT variable = sup-bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH4.bin,1;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x2102

6 Replies 6

Hello

i would suggest to change the boot variable to contain both old and new iOS but have the new iOS try to boot first

Conf t

no boot system

r
boot system flash:s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI13.bin

boot system flash sup-bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH4.bin

Sh boot

wr

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Conf t

!

No boot system flash sup-bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH4.bin

!

boot system flash xxxxx:s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI13.bin

boot system flash sup-bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH4.bin [Backup OS]

!

Exit

!

Copy run start

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I need to boot my 6500 from external flash

External flash?  Like the CF?  

It is known as "disk0:".  So your boot variable is "boot system flash disk0:IOS_filename.bin".

it will be showing disk 0: while copying but there no disk0 for the bootsystem command. Thank you for reply

it will be showing disk 0: while copying but there no disk0 for the bootsystem command

Ok, if the command "boot system flash disk0:" not allowed, can you please post the output to the command "dir disk0:" and the output to the command when you enter in configuration mode? 

All my Sup720 have "disk0:" as a secondary boot variable.

rishad ahammed
Level 1
Level 1

I tried all of the above .... but it was not working, Then I copied the ios from flash to sup-bootflash. Now the ios is new one in sho version command, but still there is no change in sho bootvar command.  Any way I have managed to boot the new IOS, Thank you all for your reply

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card