Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 hybrid mode MSFC internal trunk?

uknetwork
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking at a pair of old 6509 switches. On one switch port 15/1 (the MSFC) is configured with an ISL trunk. On the other switch there's no port config showing for 15/1.

I understand there's an implicit internal trunk created between the PFC and MSFC. I can't see any documentation that says you should configure trunking on 15/1, or make any changes at all.

Is configuring an ISL trunk needed? Which switch is configured "correctly"?

Both switches are in hybrid mode.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have never had to confiigure a trunk between the L2 and L3 parts of a 6500 when i was using them in hybrid mode.

The only switch i have ever had to do this on was the old 4000 switches where you did have to manually create a portchannel between the L2 engine and the equivalent of the MSFC.

Jon

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

Wow!! Old school OS. There is internal trunk which map to 15/1 and 16/1 on the standby sup if you have one.

Hello,

Thank you. So actually, neither switch is configured incorrectly? I don't need to explicitly define a trunk (ISL or dot1q) for port 15/1. Even with no port configuration the trunk will be there and the PFC will be able to switch out traffic on different VLANs to the MSFC?

I have never had to confiigure a trunk between the L2 and L3 parts of a 6500 when i was using them in hybrid mode.

The only switch i have ever had to do this on was the old 4000 switches where you did have to manually create a portchannel between the L2 engine and the equivalent of the MSFC.

Jon

Hi,

As per Jon's reply, there should be nothing to configure. If you want to connect to the MSFC from the CatOS CLI, then you run the session 15 command, at which point you'll be on the IOS CLI.

Take a look at How to switch between the installed modules on a Catalyst switch for details.

Regards

Hi Steve

Any chance you could have a quick look at this thread as i am no expert on Nexus so i'm not sure whether i steered the OP down the wrong route -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2268805?tstart=0

Jon

Hi Jon,

PM'd you.

Regards

Hi Steve

Just to let you know i didn't get your PM so not sure who got it

I sent you a PM instead.

Jon

uknetwork
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card