Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 to 9500 migration approach advice

Drew15
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:
I need a bit of advice / guidance on a switch migration.
I am migrating our core 6500 switch to a new 9500.

General info on settings to migrate:

A. 6 interface specific access-lists
B. 4 global access lists
C. 6 Extended access listsD. TACACS+ - RADUS – NTP – AAA
E. Rapid-psvt
F. 5 VLANS
G. 4 VLAN Trunks (SVI)
H. 12 Routed Ports ( 6 are SONET)
I. DHCP RELAY
J. 4 DHCP pools for VLANs
K. OSF and BGP are static (redistribute: connected and static)
L. EIGRP is not configured.
M. IP routing has not been enabled

A thru F have already been migrated and configured on the new 9500.
G thru M I’m a bit shaky on (see below)

Currently the 9500 is patched to an access switch (9300) so that I can SSH in and configure (Management port, port 5).

In the past I have always fully configured the new switch then did a direct one-time switchover.
However, in this case due to some of the physical distances, manpower, and upgrades to SFPs related to the Trunks (SVI) and Routed ports and Sonnet it would be preferable migrating and test them on the new switch. Then confirm connectivity. And then finally change the 9500 IP address and other relevant IPs on new 9500 pointing it to the Firewall/Enterprise.
Is possible to do this?

My thinking for testing:
- Enable IP routing on the 9500
- Example test Sonnet circuit / link 1 is on port 7 with IP ex. 192.168.x.x on 6500- Configure Port 8 on 9500 with same IP and        configuration parameters (Vlan, Speed, duplex, bandwidth) as Port 7 on 6500. > Shutdown port 8.
- Then Shutdown Port 7 on 6500, then no-shutdown on port 8 on the 9500 > move the patch > Test connectivity.
- If it works keep the link in place and disable port 7 on the 6500
- Repeat for all other links

This this viable, will conflicts arise, or is there a better way?

My other concern is what will happen when I enable IP routing, worried about what will happen with DHCP, routed ports and SVI trunks (if I configure and IP address on them). Also, what will happen if I the OSPF and BGP configuration to the new 9500. Or should I wait to do these actions after disconnecting the management port 5 (on 9500) prior to complete switch over? With this cause ARP and routing issues?

Any input and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Guess this document can be considered an introduction : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9600-series-switches/guide-c07-742784.html  , target device is not exactly the same , some points may remain useful , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello Marce1000,

Thank you for the reply and for sending the link. I will take a look and see what I can find.

Hello
If you need to perform a staged migration, then the below summary approach could be :

• Build up the new 9500 switch so it has all the same L2 interfaces and L3 Svis as the existing 6500, Make sure you have all the L3 interfaces shutdown on the new 9500

• Create a temporary L2/L3 connection between the 6500/9500 switches so to allow all L2/L3 traffic  (opsf/ibgp peering) to traverse this interconnection

• Migrate any/all distribution/access l2 links over to 9500 at this point ALL routing is still being performed on the 6500

• Migrate the L3 SVIs over to the 9500, meaning shutdown the L3 interfaces on the 6500 and enabling them on the 9500 (this can be done individually or in multiples depending on what you deem applicable)

• Once completed disable/remove the temporary L2/L3 connection and shutdown all 6500 core 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card