Helpful
Replies

6509 ISSU upgrade taking Supervisor out of SSO

SUPPORT0236
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Wonder if you can help

I am currently trying to upgrade using ISSU two 6509 Supervisor cards from /SW 15.0 (1) SY4 to 15.1(2)SY7
However using the method the card once upgraded comes out of SSO mode and goes into cold standby, now this means all other line cards when I make that supervisor card active will have to re-login.

Prior to upgrade the supervisor card is in Standby HOT however goes to Cold, now I know it comes out of SSO when on different firmware's however is that the case for when running in ISSU ?

I'm running the following command to initiate the upgrade
ssu loadversion 5 bootdisk:s2t54-ipservicesk9-mz.SPA.151-2.SY7.bin 6 slavebootdisk:s2t54-ipservicesk9-mz.SPA.151-2.SY7.bin

Which takes and all seems to be good am I missing another step which allows sso with a mismatch firmware so I can utilize the ISSU command?

Regards,

Mark Couto

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@SUPPORT0236 wrote:

So why is there the option if this is not a recommended solution 

ISSU or FSU/eFSU does not work all the time.  Most of the time it will work in very "ideal" situations, like a lab environment. 
In the wild, there are very few instances when ISSU or FSU/eFSU "can" work. 

Next, this question usually originates from someone who has never seen nor experience the "panick" (aka "code brown") when ISSU or FSU/eFSU has failed.  

Finally, a plain "reboot" takes about 7 to 10 minutes.  When an ISSU or FSU/eFSU upgrade fails?  Like in the Mastercard commercial says, it is "priceless". 

Undeterred?  Make sure to have a large change window, get TAC on the phone during the ISSU upgrade and prepare for any eventualities.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would never, ever, recommend anyone upgrade something so critical using ISSU or FSU/eFSU.

Hi,

Regards, 

Mark 

@SUPPORT0236 wrote:

ISSU or FSU/eFSU does not work all the time.  Most of the time it will work in very "ideal" situations, like a lab environment. 
In the wild, there are very few instances when ISSU or FSU/eFSU "can" work. 

Next, this question usually originates from someone who has never seen nor experience the "panick" (aka "code brown") when ISSU or FSU/eFSU has failed.  

Finally, a plain "reboot" takes about 7 to 10 minutes.  When an ISSU or FSU/eFSU upgrade fails?  Like in the Mastercard commercial says, it is "priceless". 

Undeterred?  Make sure to have a large change window, get TAC on the phone during the ISSU upgrade and prepare for any eventualities.

Chris McCann
Level 1
Level 1

hiya,

About to do a simular operation myself. Upgrading from 15.0(1) to 15.2

Did you get round the problem, was it resolved for you?

I have been advised against using ISSU.

regards,

Chris.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card