Helpful
Replies

6509 vrf-lite on sup720-3b

Geminorum_cco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody!

Thanks for a great resource

I've currently got the following layout in my 6509 (not the 6509-E version).

Catalyst 6000 supervisor 2 (Hot)       WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE

Catalyst 6000 supervisor 2 (Active)    WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE

48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule      WS-X6148-GE-TX

48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule      WS-X6148-GE-TX

16  SFM-capable 16 port 1000mb GBIC        WS-X6516-GBIC

16  SFM-capable 16 port 1000mb GBIC        WS-X6516-GBIC

48 port 10/100 mb RJ45                 WS-X6348-RJ-45

48 port 10/100 mb RJ45                 WS-X6348-RJ-45

VPN Module          WS-SVC-IPSEC-1

Now budget dictates that i stay with this chassis at bit longer, so i need to confirm that i can VRF'ify my infrastructure with the hardware just listed if i upgrade to Sup720-3Bs.

But i need to be sure i can do the following with the listed hardware (and the supervisor engine upgade )

1. Do the newer supervisor engines fit in the old chassis and will it only require a fan module upgrade?

2. Can i for certain convert to VRF-lite with route bleeding through BGP.

3. Will i be able to go into VRF mode on the crypto engine with the newer supervisor engine? (so everyting eventually integrates)

4. Also i have some idea of which ios i should be running, one in the SXH or I release train. But what would you guys recommend?

4. And finally, will i be able to issue the ip vrf forwarding command on both virtual interfaces and physical?

5. Oh and will everything run for sure on dual 2500w psu's?

Thanks in advance - any input i will appreciate!

Best regards and cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

1. Do the newer supervisor engines fit in the old chassis and will it only require a fan module upgrade?

It does fit in the old chassis, but you may have to upgrade your PSUs in addition to the fan trays.

see below Q&A

Q. Are there any other system upgrades required in order to use the new Supervisor 720?

A. In addition to upgrading the fan tray, you may also need to upgrade the  power supply in order to properly power the system. The minimum is a  2500 watt power supply for 6, 9, and 13-slot chassis. The 2500W power  supply can operate as a 1300(W) (110VAC) or a 2500W (220VAC, -48DC to  -60DC). As with any chassis configuration, power requirements for a  Supervisor 720-based system will depend on the configuration. Consult  the Hardware Installation documentation on CCO for more specific power  requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_qas09186a0080159963.html

3.  Will i be able to go into VRF mode on the crypto engine with the newer  supervisor engine? (so everyting eventually integrates)

Yes, with the right image you can do VRFs.

4. Also i have some idea of which ios i should be running, one in the SXH or I release train. But what would you guys recommend?

SXH is pretty old and Cisco does not make enhancement to it anymore.  I recommend SXI or SXJ.

4. And finally, will i be able to issue the ip vrf forwarding command on both virtual interfaces and physical?

Yes, ip forwarding can be added to SVIs or physical interfaces.

I would use the power calculator for PSUs to make sure you don't have to replace them.

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

1. Yes, the sup 720 is compatible with non-E chassis, You need to be using a "fan tray 2" and power supplies 2500w or higher in it though.

2. Not sure what you mean here. Please explain more.

3. You should not need to VRF the VPN mod, you should just VRF the interface connecting to it.

4. I would go with 12.2.33-SXJ5 It is compatible with your hardware, supports most of the latest features and is a well tested safe harbor release.

4a. Yes you can VRF virtual and physical interfaces.

5. Yes, redundantly, but only if you supply 220V AC to them. 110V will only allow you to run in combined mode.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

It does fit in the old chassis, but you may have to upgrade your PSUs in addition to the fan trays.

see below Q&A

Q. Are there any other system upgrades required in order to use the new Supervisor 720?

A. In addition to upgrading the fan tray, you may also need to upgrade the  power supply in order to properly power the system. The minimum is a  2500 watt power supply for 6, 9, and 13-slot chassis. The 2500W power  supply can operate as a 1300(W) (110VAC) or a 2500W (220VAC, -48DC to  -60DC). As with any chassis configuration, power requirements for a  Supervisor 720-based system will depend on the configuration. Consult  the Hardware Installation documentation on CCO for more specific power  requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_qas09186a0080159963.html

3.  Will i be able to go into VRF mode on the crypto engine with the newer  supervisor engine? (so everyting eventually integrates)

Yes, with the right image you can do VRFs.

SXH is pretty old and Cisco does not make enhancement to it anymore.  I recommend SXI or SXJ.

Yes, ip forwarding can be added to SVIs or physical interfaces.

I would use the power calculator for PSUs to make sure you don't have to replace them.

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/

HTH

Hi again

thanks guys! These topics can be quite a jungle with all the combinations possible. I actually found an oooold post where one guys had vrf's working on my current setup (with the sup2GEs) and as it turns out that functionality was removed in an ios version later than his... I've been unable to confirm this and i dont need it, but very interesting.

An additional question, regarding the IOS versions and release trains. I read someone mentioning the SXJ being modular and - i dont remember the exact words - but he would prefer not to go there... I'm wondering why. Is there a ressource i can tap into if i would like to read up on IOS in all its different shades and colours?

Oh, and thanks for the tip on the power calculator. Tried it and it showed a usage of approx 57% in a redundant setup with my 2500 watts. So thats good too.

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card