cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

806 Router bandwidth problems

timhaigh
Level 1
Level 1

The following performance issues have arisen since installing the 806 on a 10Mbit Telstra Bigpond Cable connection. I have been using FTP to download large backup files (approx 400MB +) and files like Windows service packs via HTTP.

There seems to be a hard limit of no more than 700KB/s on downloads from HTTP sources that will achieve 1100KB/s without the 806 in use.

There is a maximum speed of 50KB/s when downloading backups via FTP. I have tried this with a single 400MB file and the same file broken into 15MB rar files. Without the 806 the FTP transfer will rise to the maximum set limit of 100KB/s on the server at the other end (2Mbit SDSL).

I have even erased the flash and webflash, reinstalled the IOS and webflash files, loaded the default config that comes with the CRWS tool - the results are the exactly the same.

I was wondering if the 806 has these limitations or if there is a fault with the unit?

Router model: 806

IOS version: c806-oy6-mz.122-4.XM

3 Replies 3

b.speltz
Level 4
Level 4

I feel that the problem might be from ISP section, They have their own limit for upload and download for each customer. Check with your bandwidth limitations with your ISP. If possible change your router with some other models.

The fault is with the 806, not the ISP as the issue doesn't exist with a basic Netgear router or with the PC directly connected to the ISP.

I have had absolutely no luck fixing this and am just thinking of returning the 806.

Although I can't verify this myself, the slow performance of the 806 is related to the "IOS Firewall" or "CBAC" feature. I've heard that if this feature is enabled, it consumes lots of cpu cycles on the router. You can verify this by disabling "http inspection" and see if the performance improves. To do this, look for this line in the configs:

ip inspect name blah_blah http timeout 3600

and disable it with "no ip inpect name ...."

HTH

Mustafa

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card