Views
Helpful
Replies

871 router cwmp inventory file

sugarriver
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm cleaning off some retired 871 routers that were managed by a vendor. I have reset the password and done a 'write erase'. There is a file called cwmp_inventory in nvram: that can be deleted but comes back at reboot. What is this file? Is there any sensitive information in it?

Thank you very much.

2 Replies 2

CWMP is the "CPE WAN Management Protocol". In Germany (and probably other countries) it's implemented as "TR-69" and allows the configuration of CPE-devices like DSL-routers by the ISP.

To my understanding (I never used it practically) there could be login-information and certificates in this file. But if the router is not ISP-managed any more, these information are not needed.

What happens if you load a fresh IOS-version to the router and boot with that?

After doing some more digging, I think this is a defualt file. The user in this discussion: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11306191/nvramifindex-table had the file on a brand new router and I just checked a new Cisco router I have and it was on there as well. All file were the same size. Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card